Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

how to update/install drivers using Ubuntu

• Please log in to reply

adorableedgar

adorableedgar

• PipPip
  • 51 posts
I'm planning to install Ubuntu on a freshly built computer, but on my "how do i build my pc" research results i have understood that as soon as you install any OS you should install and update all of your drivers....how would i go about doing this if i am planing to use Ubuntu? any help is much appreciated

Advertisements

silverbeard

silverbeard

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPip
  • 791 posts
Ubuntu has some of the best hardware support. It has a restricted drivers utility that will load any non-free drivers you might need. Experience is that most things just work and the Update Manager will take care of most updates needed.

fleamailman

fleamailman

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,383 posts
the great thing about ubuntu linux is the live CD test run, since if one boots onto a live CD it temporarily install the ubuntu system to ones ram, and not the hard drive so one can see if the drivers are recognized giving one a good idea of how it will look too, then if one doesn't like what one sees or if there are great problems, one can just choose some other type of linux, many many out there, lastly since the live CD test loads and works in ram, when one turns off the computer and removes the CD, no trace remains, no harm done

adorableedgar

adorableedgar

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 51 posts
okay i'm using the Live Cd version of Ubuntu and everything works absolutely fine.....the only problem is that after i chose to install (no partitions) everything seems fine and so what the instructions are: restart computer after installtion is complete....after i restart and remove the CD what i get is a simple black screen with a flashing "-" .....a dash should i call it? ......well anyways, i've also tried reinstalling Ubuntu and still no luck....the running it from the CD works fine its just when i try to run it from the HDD i just get the blank screen.....thanks any help is much much appreciated

fleamailman

fleamailman

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,383 posts
interesting, just some question to throw light onto the problem

how many harddrives do you have, under the live CD test I imagine with ubuntu(not my distro so I not sure) you will have a program that checks the drives(probably called Gparted) it will tell you what format size the partitions are,

also, when you tried for the second time I imagine it said that the system was already there and would you like to eraze it, or did it say that there was no system then?

was the hard drive formatted in ntfs to start with, or was it unformatted, or was there a system like windows already using it

adorableedgar

adorableedgar

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 51 posts

interesting, just some question to throw light onto the problem

how many harddrives do you have, under the live CD test I imagine with ubuntu(not my distro so I not sure) you will have a program that checks the drives(probably called Gparted) it will tell you what format size the partitions are,

also, when you tried for the second time I imagine it said that the system was already there and would you like to eraze it, or did it say that there was no system then?

was the hard drive formatted in ntfs to start with, or was it unformatted, or was there a system like windows already using it

1. i have 1 hard drive
2.its not ntfs...its formatted in some weird Linux format...the disk is new so Linux was the first OS to write its self on it
3.when i rewrote Ubuntu it showed me the previous partitions that i had created and the amount that was already being used...so i just wrote over
4. i dont know much about Linux so i couldn't tell you much about the driver checking program...it has a command terminal and thats all that i've seen that could be of some use...oh and it also has a "my computer" equivalent to MS Windows

fleamailman

fleamailman

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,383 posts
ubuntu is not my distro being gnome, so rather than me second guessing and unless someone can offer input here I am linking you to the ubuntu forum because they will know, if the format took then the drive will be in ext3
http://ubuntuforums.org/

adorableedgar

adorableedgar

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 51 posts

ubuntu is not my distro being gnome, so rather than me second guessing and unless someone can offer input here I am linking you to the ubuntu forum because they will know, if the format took then the drive will be in ext3
http://ubuntuforums.org/

ehh i've posted their before and they just say to try a different distro....i guess Ubuntu/Linux isn't for everyone....now i know why Windows is still the most popular OS. Guess i'll go dump another $150 bucks into a Microsoft account.

fleamailman

fleamailman

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,383 posts
I would agree with the people at that forum, each ISO image will cost you one dollar, but I would try a distro of a different linux family suggesting fedora or suse, also see if there is a LUG(linux user group) near you, my hunch is the boot on ubuntu isn't getting it right while the rest is there,