Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

No Internet and No Sound

• Please log in to reply

hansformat

hansformat

• PipPip
  • 31 posts
I started off in the Malaware forum and have been redirected to this forum by Rorschach112.

My problems are:
1) Can't connect to internet.
2) No sound.

On the internet issue:
- The problem started with a windows redirect. No matter what site I entered the system put in some bogus prefix. That bogus prefix essentially prevented me from getting to any site. I was able to get rid of the bogus prefix (please see the initial posting on the Malaware logs forum under user "Hansformat" for details) but I still can't connect to the internet.
- Rorschach112 led me through a series of actions (once again please see the thread) that seem to have gotten rid of any viruses I have on my system. However, I still can't get to the internet.
- There is absolutely nothing wrong with the internet connection; in fact I am using the same connection (via wireless router) to communicate with this forum using my 2nd household computer.

As to the sound, when I go to Control Panel/SoundsSpeech/AudioDevices the window says "No Audio Device".

Please help. Thanks!

Jason.

Advertisements

Tyger

Tyger

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,896 posts
Very likely the drivers for both got deleted or corrupted. However you haven't posted your machine's specifications so no one can tell you what drivers you need or how to get them. If it is a name brand machine you can go to the drivers and downloads section of the maker's site and install them from there. If not you can install Belarc Advisor or Everest Home Edition to find what you need. Even if it's not the drivers a good first step would be to try them since it is very simple to install them and if that doesn't fix the problem we can try other things.

Will_00

Will_00

• PipPipPip
  • 226 posts
You may want to try and connect to the internet using an ethernet cable. If it still doesn't work you may want to try a different browser - such as Firefox. As well it would seem as if you would not have the correct drivers if none of this works.

hansformat

hansformat

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 31 posts
I have already put firefox on the machine. I am unable to connect to the internet with either firefox or IE.

The machine already has an ethnernet connection to the Cable Modem. I know the internet itself is fine because I am using it on this 2nd machine to talk to this forum, and this 2nd machine is wirelessly connected to the same internet cable box.

I agree that the drivers or something to the internet and to the sound system have been deleted or corrupted. I'm not exactly sure what to do from here however.

In addition with regard to these issues I copied and pasted some interesting info on the malware thread before I was transferred here. In particular:

For the sound problem:
I went into Control Panel/SoundsSpeechAudioDevices/SoundsAndAudioDevices" and the window says "No Audio Device". So something was trashed and the computer no longer sees my audio system.

For the internet problem:
I was given instructions to try these 2 steps:
1. Click Start, click Run, type Firewall.cpl, and then click OK.
2. On the General tab, click Off (not recommended), and then click OK.

The results of the 2 steps were:
When I do the Run/firewall.cpl I get the following message:
"Windows firewall settings cannot be displayed because the associate service is not running. Do you want to start the Windows Firewall/Internet Connecting Sharing (ICS) Service".
I answered "Yes".
But then I got this message:
"Windows cannot start the windows Firewall/Internet Connection Sharing (ICS) Service".
I never got to the "General tab" to change the setting.
When I go to Control Panel / Network Connections nothing shows up in the right pane.

Jason.

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
a couple of things to try ...first try setting up another user account...name it something different than the one you now use....make it a admin account...we can get your data moved over if this solves the problem...
no joy..
Lets try and see whether you have equipment related problems. In this step, we will allow the equipment to self-diagnose and resolve the problems.

If you suddenly lose connectivity over your High Speed Internet line, have a slow connection or are unable to browse the Internet despite indications that you are connected, it is possible that your modem is not communicating properly with the Internet network.

Save all your current work, close all open applications, then shut down your computer ...unplug router and modem

Power up the modem first and after it gets initialized and all the lites are steady..
power up the router...after all the lites are on...
power up the computer

The above steps should take care of your problem

no joy then try this..

TCP/IP stack repair options for use with Windows XP with SP2.

For these commands click on Start.... Run..... type in...CMD ....press enter....to open a command prompt box

Reset WINSOCK entries to installation defaults...type in ... netsh winsock reset catalog .... press ...enter

Reset TCP/IP stack to installation defaults...type in...... netsh int ip reset reset.log ... press ...enter

after we get the connection issue resolved we can start on the sound issue...

Edited by happyrck, 24 February 2008 - 06:27 PM.

Will_00

Will_00

• PipPipPip
  • 226 posts
You may want to try and go to "Start," "Run," and type "services.msc" look for ICS and make sure it is activated.

Tyger

Tyger

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,896 posts
You will likely need to use your working machine to download the network drivers and burn them to a CD and install them on the non-working machine. That not withstanding, we still don't know the specs of your machine so we can't be of much direct help.

hansformat

hansformat

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 31 posts
I just ran the Everest program and have the log. I wanted to go into it and just send you relevant pieces (network and sound) but it is pretty complex and I would probably miss something you need. So maybe I am better off posting the whole thing for you? If this will help it will take 2 minutes.

Jason.

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,091 posts
Use the Browse and Upload buttons below the text input area to attach the log to your post, don't post the log directly into the forum.

hansformat

hansformat

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 31 posts
Ok, please find my Everest log attached. If you take a look at it and give me instructions as to what steps I might take to repair my web access and sound I would really appreciate it.

Thanks

Jason.

Attached Files

Advertisements

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,091 posts
Okay, sound is: Intel 82801GB ICH7 - High Definition Audio Controller
Network is: Intel® PRO/100 VE

What is the model number of your Dell? I couldn't find that info in the Everest log.

It does show that you are not obtaining an IP address from the modem, so this is most likel;y a driver issue.

Do you see any yellow marks in Device Manager for Audio or Network?

Did you try the suggestions happyrck gave you?

hansformat

hansformat

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 31 posts
Sorry guys I was sick for a few days and didn't touch the computer. I finally did all these things that you recommended...here are the results:

1. Computer Model:
The computer is a Dell E510 Dimension.

2. Create a new user:
I created a new user and it made no difference whatsoever. That user cannot access the internet either with IE or Mozilla.

3. Power Down computer, then power down and unplug modems/routers, etc then restart:
I did all this and it made no difference whatsoever. Nor did I expect that this was the problem. Remember...as I have already indicated several times I am communicating with you on a second computer that is ON EXACTLY THE SAME NETWORK AND DSL LINE (through wireless). If the network were the problem I wouldn't have been able to access you on the 2nd computer.

4. netsh winsock reset catalog
When I ran this I got this message:
"WARNING: Could not obtain host information from machine: [myname]. Some commands may not be available. The specified service does not exist as an installed service.
Successfully reset the Winsock Catalog.
You must restart the machine in order to complete the reset."

5. netsh int ip reset reset.log
When I ran this I got this message:
WARNING: Could not obtain host information from machine: [myname]. Some commands may not be available. The specified service does not exist as an installed service".

After running 4 and 5 I still cannot get on the internet.
I rebooted and tried again, and still cannot get on.

Just to reiterate:
a) Just in case you did not read the string (virus based) that started this whole affair, the internet issue started when every page I entered was redirected to a site that didn't exist. It has 'google' as part of the name, and no matter what I entered it added this bogus 'google blah blah' prefix to the name and prevented any connection. I traced that to the "CBrowserHelperObject" in ManageAddOns in IE...I disabled this object and it no longer adds this prefix. However, it still won't connect...no matter what I enter I get "This page cannot be displayed...".
b) As is indicated earlier in this thread when I try to show the firewall settings I got this message: "Windows firewall settings cannot be displayed because the associated service is not running. Do you want to start the Windows Firewall Internet Connection Sharing (ICS) Service?".
When I answered Yes it said "Windows cannot start the windows firewall internet connection sharing (ICS) service".

I hope this info is helpful. I do not feel I am any closer to fixing this problem than when I started, but I am hopeful that you see something in these notes and can advise on a next step.

Thanks for your help.

Jason.

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,091 posts
Since you are not obtaining an IP address from the router, nothing you do is going to make any difference until that is resolved. The most likely cause is your network card/chip device driver.

Open Device Manager and see if there are any yellow marks anywhere.

Click on Start then Run, type devmgmt.msc and press Enter.

If the network card has a yellow mark next to it, right click on it and select Uninstall or Delete. Reboot and let XP rediscover it and reload the drivers, see if that helps.

Heck, even if there is no yellow mark, do the above anyway.

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
lets clean out the old hosts file and install a new one...go here...and click on the hosts.zip...after you unzip it click on the batch icon ...

Edited by happyrck, 03 March 2008 - 08:56 AM.

hansformat

hansformat

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 31 posts
Ztruker:
I can't find any program called "Device Manager". I looked in the control panel and there
isn't anything called that. Where do I look for that so I can try the procedure you
recommend?
Even though I couldn't find it I was going to just go into the "run" program as you advise
as step 2 and type devmgmt.msc...but before I do I have a question:
If it does indeed find a yellow mark and I choose to unintall or delete it ... when XP
discovers this and attempts to reload the driver will it load from my local drive...or
attempt to download something?
If it is the latter of course it will NOT work since I am not connected to the internet.
I am willing to try this but please answer this first...it must try to load locally or it is
a dead end.

happyrck:
I unzipped the hosts program and ran the mvps.bat batch file.
After doing so I still cannot access the internet either with Mozilla or IE.

Please advice next step.

Thanks

Jason.