Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

No Internet and No Sound

• Please log in to reply

hansformat

hansformat

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 31 posts
Ztruker/Happyrck:

I posted this issue on the Dell community forum and got this response today from someone named Rod. What is your opinion...could this work?

------------------------------------------------------------

Run BIOS setup and change the hard drive setting from RAID to RAID Autodetect/ATA. It shouldn't ask you for the RAID drivers again and should allow the install to run.

E510 BIOS settings

<> If you haven't already reformatted the hard drive, have you rebooted and gone to F8 menu and tried "last known good"?

And if you haven't already reformatted, there's still the option of a Repair/Reinstall which will only reinstall XP but shouldn't affect personal files or the software you installed. And if you haven't reformatted, you could run PC Restore which will reset the hard drive to exactly the way Dell shipped it with XP, drivers, and all preinstalled software. Your personal stuff will be lost after PC Restore.

Ron

Advertisements

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
give it a try...

hansformat

hansformat

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 31 posts
Ztruker & Happyrck:

Changing the BIOS setting to autodetect RAID did not make any difference. In fact it was already set to autodetect. So it still doesn't see any XP installation and therefore cannot repair it.

So it would appear my choices are:
1. Try the floppy.
Question on this...have either of you guys ever tried a USB floppy...what I am asking in particular is whether such a drive is recognized as drive A:? The reason I am asking is obviously this would be much less hassle than opening up the machine.

2. PC Restore.
I could do this...but then I would have to reinstall everything and restore my backed up data.

Jason.

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,091 posts
Jason, here is some info to look at: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/916196

hansformat

hansformat

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 31 posts
Thanks for this info. I just ordered the Mitsumi. Hold your breadth.

Jas