Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Web pages taking inordinate amount of time to load

• Please log in to reply

Shannon L

Shannon L

• PipPip
  • 15 posts
Recently, my computer has been taking forever to load webpages. I use IE as my browser and up until about two weeks ago, haven't had any problems. If I click a link that opens a new window, it will take a good 5-10 minutes to load the page. My connection is good (cable to laptop, no router) and I've done all the things I can think of to solve the problem. I'm obviously missing something. I run an updated version of McAfee Virus - which I've disabled, including firewall, to see if this helps - nope. I've also noticed that my start up time is pretty lengthy, as well. Can someone give me the dumbed down version of what they think will help?

Thanks everyone!

Advertisements

hfcg

hfcg

The hippie freak computer geek

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,496 posts
Hello Shannon L, and welcome to Geeks To go.
Your Internet Explorer cashe is full.
Please download ATF Cleaner by Atribune.
Double-click ATF-Cleaner.exe to run the program.
Under Main choose: Select All
Click the Empty Selected button.
If you use Firefox browserClick Firefox at the top and choose: Select All
NOTE: If you would like to keep your saved passwords, please click No at the prompt.
If you use Opera browserClick Opera at the top and choose: Select All
NOTE: If you would like to keep your saved passwords, please click No at the prompt.
Click Exit on the Main menu to close the program.
For Technical Support, double-click the e-mail address located at the bottom of each menu.

Shannon L

Shannon L

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts
Okay, did that - still not loading. Also, if I minimize the window I'm waiting for then try to maximize it again, it won't until it fully loads. I also can't close it until it fully loads.

Once I have a web page open, I don't have too much trouble going from page to page, it's only when I open a new page that I have to wait an eternity for it. I want my instant gratification!!

hfcg

hfcg

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,496 posts
The amount of time a web page takes to load depends on;
  • your Internet service, (bandwidth).
  • Your systems RAM,
  • How much Data must be loaded (graphics are large and slow down the loading process).
You can adjust the size of your cashe.
  • With Internet Explorer open, click on Tools.
  • Select Internet Options
  • Select settings
  • Select to check for newer versions automaticly.
  • set the disc space to 100MB.
If you want to speed things up, and do not want pictures, you can select Advanced and uncheck show pictures.

Shannon L

Shannon L

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts
Per my system info, I have 1.73 GHz, 0.99 GB of RAM (running MS XP, Media Center Edition, Version 2002, Service Pack 2). Seems kind of chintzy, no?

My cache was set at 250, should I still adjust it?

hfcg

hfcg

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,496 posts
Your specs are fine.
Yes, adjust the cache to 100MB.
Please Run the PCPitstop Full Tests, here:
PCPitstop Full Tests
Note: Vista users with UAC must first Right-click IE - Select "Run as Administrator"
If you haven't already registered, Click - Sign up now! (left hand column in User Login)
Register and create a password
Accept the ActiveX component to allow your machine to run the Full Tests
Registering and accepting the ActiveX are both SAFE and FREE.

The Full Tests take less than 5 minutes for most machines.
Once you have your Results, please post the TechExpress Link back here into this thread for review.
TechExpress is the last item on the list in the yellow box in upper right area of any Results page.
Post the entire URL link information back here into this Forum thread.
Note: Vista users, please close your instance of IE "Rrunning as Administrator" after you are finished reviewing your Results.

Caution: During the testing of Video Adapter, a variety of patterns, shapes, colors and text are “flashed” onto the users monitor screen. In the many thousands of daily uses of the PCPitstop Full Tests over several years, two individuals who suffer epilepsy experienced discomfort and temporary dizziness when viewing the flashing patterns.
If you know that you are susceptible to photo driven seizure, please look away from your screen during the Video Adapter testing sequence.
Note: The PCPitstop Full Tests Results is a free service, but is supported by various paid product advertisements for utilities that "could" remedy the OP's problem.
Since G2G is a "free-help" forum, we do not recommend or endorse purchase of automated utilities, and will assist you in manually correcting any problems and settings necessary to optimize your machine's performance. Ask your questions here. We'll help you walk through any necessary steps.

Shannon L

Shannon L

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts
Here's the link from PCPitstop

http://www.pcpitstop...1BASWTRGZGSR9MG

hfcg

hfcg

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,496 posts
Please go here and read this article from Microsoft.

Shannon L

Shannon L

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts
I don't know what any of that means. I'm thinking I might do what I always do when faced with great computer difficulty - buy a new laptop.

hfcg

hfcg

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,496 posts
The specs for your laptop are very good.
Your Internet speeds are good.
Turn off the philshing filter and see how that goes.
Click on Tools again and turn off the philshing filter.

Advertisements

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,091 posts
You don't need a new computer unless you want to use this as a good excuse to buy one :)

How does it behave if you boot to Safe Mode with Networking? If better then something is starting at boot that is causing the problem. Try the following:

Click on Start then Run, type msconfig and press Enter.
Click on the Startup tab and disable everything except your Anti-virus or Firewall.
Do a regular boot, see if it runs normal.
If yes then use msconfig to enable several items at a time till you find the culprit.

If no, click on the Services tab. Check the Hide All Microsoft Services box then disable all but AV or firewall.
Again, do a regular boot, see if it runs normal.
If yes then use msconfig to enable services till you find the culprit.

Once you've found the culprit, uninstall it or find out how to eliminate it from your system. Simply disabling it in msconfig is a temporary fix at best.

Shannon L

Shannon L

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts
I've turned off the filter on the computer should I turn it off on McAfee as well?

Shannon L

Shannon L

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts
Couldn't one of you guys just fly to NYC and fix my computer for me? I have cake, you know.

hfcg

hfcg

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,496 posts

Couldn't one of you guys just fly to NYC and fix my computer for me? I have cake, you know.

I am afraid of airplanes, can I drive?
Yes, turn it off in mcafee as well.
Mcafee is probably what is slowing the web pages down.

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,091 posts
Another possibility is an IE addon. Open Tools then Manage Addons, and disable a few at a time and see if that has any effect. YOu can re-enable them when done (except for the one that is slowing things down of course ).