Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Calling all GEEKS, calling all GEEKS......

• Please log in to reply

Jake B Delbek

Jake B Delbek

• PipPip
  • 15 posts
I am about to purchase a new computer. The computer I now have, a Dell Dimension 4400 with 512MB of RAM and 37 Gigs of hard drive memory, is a serious dinosaur straight from the Jurassic that I really need to kick out the door yesterday.

The main reason I need a new computer, is because I am a developer. I develop membership sites using every imaginable form of multimedia. You name the multimedia modality, I'll be using it.

I can't use this useless dinosaur of a "computer" any more. Time to smash it to bits and start over with a decent computer system.

I am really partial to HP computers. I found a HP computer at Sam's for $1100 that has 620 gigs of hard drive and an unbelievable 4 gigs of RAM (system memory). What the...? I thought Vista OS can see only 3 gigs of RAM? The OS is 64 bit Vista Home Premium.

My question is, Can I use Camtasia on a 64 bit version of Vista Home Premium? Can I use Microsoft Office 2007 on a 64 bit version of Vista Home Premium?

Or should I play it perfectly safe and stick with 32 bit?

Also, What is the MOST POWERFUL DESKTOP COMPUTER that a developer can buy, short of a Supercomputer? What is the most amount of RAM I can get in a desktop? The reason I am so terminally OBSESSED with RAM, is because I am going to be using video applications on this setup. I am developing multimedia membership sites with all multimedia modalities included and I will give the members whatever they ask for!!

If any of you on this forum develop multimedia membership sites, you'll understand what I am talking about.

Thank you very much for all of your input and suggestions!

Edited by Jake B Delbek, 24 February 2008 - 07:27 PM.

Advertisements

Matt Brownn

Matt Brownn

• PipPip
  • 24 posts
woah that computer sucks....

The best computer that you can buy hmm I would say either Build your own or get a Mac Pro. The Mac Pro can support up to 32 GB of ram and i believe thats the most ram any computer can support

Jake B Delbek

Jake B Delbek

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts

woah that computer sucks....

The best computer that you can buy hmm I would say either Build your own or get a Mac Pro. The Mac Pro can support up to 32 GB of ram and i believe thats the most ram any computer can support

Thank you very much for your input, Matt. I really appreciate it.

I am considering going with a Mac, but much of the software I will be using has been written for Windows.

What is the most powerful desktop computer that I can purchase? (Windows PC) I am looking for the most advanced video card, 8600 series or better, the more RAM the better, the more hard drive the better, the faster processor the better although Quad Core is great, with a 22 inch HDMI flat screen monitor. The 24 inch monitor is a bit too large for me.

Also, what is the most powerful laptop computer (notebook computer) that I can buy (Windows PC)? I'm looking for:
As much hard drive space as I can get
As much RAM (system memory) as I can get
Fastest processor/Duo Core processor
No video card is ever too advanced for my applications

Thank you in advance for all your input and suggestions. I really do appreciate it.

racinmason001

racinmason001

• PipPipPip
  • 195 posts
Seriously build your own it not really that hard. Folks here would be glad to answer your questions.

sandman01086

sandman01086

• PipPipPip
  • 103 posts
i believe 64-bit vista ultimate can support 64gb of RAM

i recommend building your own machine and getting 4gb of RAM

also i think using high powered multimedia applications would justify buying a quad core processor

as for gfx card go for a 9600 :)

hope that helps

Matt Brownn

Matt Brownn

• PipPip
  • 24 posts
Hey if you really want a Mac you can either run Windows in VMware inside of OS X or u can run it in Bootcamp Natively.

As for the most powerful desktop build your own if you are worried about it I have built several computers and I would be glad to help if you want I could give you my email or something if you have any questions.

The laptop I would say either a Alienware or a XPS they are both made by Dell and I have heard some pretty bad things about Alienware so if i were you I would go with the XPS

Also if you are going to build i would wait a few more weeks because the 9 series cards are starting to roll out and u can either get a really good deal on a 8 series card or spend a little more and get a beastly card lol!

Edited by Matt Brownn, 25 February 2008 - 06:46 PM.

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
I think you'll get more help in the System Building forum. I'm moving this topic there... :)

Rocknrollcows

Rocknrollcows

• PipPipPip
  • 432 posts
Well, since you are going for MULTIMEDIA, and not gaming, then i would suggest a card from the

http://www.newegg.co...e=Quadro series - Quadro Series

or

http://www.newegg.co...e=FireGL series - FireGL series.

not familiar with Workstation GPUs so I might be giving bad advice. But these cards should be better for your purposes.

As for Ram and everything else,

a 64bit software's Ram support is almost limitless because of lack of technology.

It would depend on how much RAM the Motherboard can support. Some MOBOS can support up to 16G thats for sure. Not sure about 32G thou. Server MOBO maybe?

Processor for your uses would be a QX9650 which you would need if you are serious about multimedia.

HD, I would get a few terabytes and put them in RAID 0 config. for safe backups.

~ I may not know what i'm saying, so wait for others to confirm

~~~~

EDIT:

I have read somewhere about compatibility issues with some programs with 64bit but i can't confirm

Edited by Rocknrollcows, 25 February 2008 - 07:21 PM.

Matt Brownn

Matt Brownn

• PipPip
  • 24 posts
Rock and Roll cows you are right a workstation card would better suit him.

and for ram i really would not get anymore than 4 GB because windows does not know what to do with it all.

and ehh i don't know about Vista 64bit i would just go 32 bit

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,839 posts
Hi there,

To best help you, please tell us if you're interested in building your own or purchasing a ready-made system. What is your budget? From what I can gather, you're looking to build/purchase a desktop and also purchase a laptop? Or have I got that wrong?

As has been discussed already, any operating system that is 32-bit will only be able to read approximately 3.25GB of RAM, depending on the system components. 64-bit will go well over this, but seeing as you need this specifically for multimedia application compatibility, I would:
  • Not purchase a Mac Computer
  • Go with a 32-bit OS unless every program you use is advertised as 64-bit compatible

Processor for your uses would be a QX9650 which you would need if you are serious about multimedia.

HD, I would get a few terabytes and put them in RAID 0 config. for safe backups.

I feel a QX series processor is extremely overkill (unless you have a budget for it and intend to massively overclock), a Q6600 is well and truly going to give you better value for your money. This processor can also be overclocked with an aftermarket heatsink/fan, and it gives very good performance standard or overclocked.

Depending on the sizes of the files you use, you may need one (or more than one) 1TB HDD, but do not run them in RAID 0. RAID 0, also called Striping, splits the data over all the HDDs, so if one drive fails, all data is lost.

Here's some more reading on RAID.

Cheers

Troy

stettybet0

stettybet0

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 2,579 posts
Good advice Troy. I agree with everything you said. Just one thing I'd like to point out is that all 32-bit Vista compatible programs will work in 64-bit Vista. The main reasons a program wouldn't work on 64-bit Vista are:
  • The program doesn't work on Vista, period. (Though there usually are workarounds for this.)
  • The program is a 16-bit program. Pretty much the only time you'll see this is with old DOS programs, and there are almost certainly better options available now anyways (definitely for multimedia), so this isn't much of a liability.
  • The program relies on a driver that is 32-bit only. This can be the big one, but I don't see multimedia programs using drivers typically.
Therefore, if Jake plans on doing lots of multimedia things which can use lots of RAM, he might want to go with 64-bit Vista to be able to utilize 4+GB of RAM.

And I would NOT recommend a workstation card, as they are more suited to doing complex graphical calculations and 3D design (CAD and DCC).

sandman01086

sandman01086

• PipPipPip
  • 103 posts
also if you get 64-bit and get 4gb at a later date you can always add more as programs begin to require more :)

Rocknrollcows

Rocknrollcows

• PipPipPip
  • 432 posts

I feel a QX series processor is extremely overkill (unless you have a budget for it and intend to massively overclock), a Q6600 is well and truly going to give you better value for your money. This processor can also be overclocked with an aftermarket heatsink/fan, and it gives very good performance standard or overclocked.

he said he wanted the most powerful proc money can buy O.o

although some would argue the PS3's cell is.

Depending on the sizes of the files you use, you may need one (or more than one) 1TB HDD, but do not run them in RAID 0. RAID 0, also called Striping, splits the data over all the HDDs, so if one drive fails, all data is lost.

srry, got confused with RAID 1 which you need double the Disks but you need get backups correct?

Titan8990

Titan8990

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,189 posts
For a working envirnment you should look into RAID 5. You will get a speed increase like in RAID 0 without the risk of data lose. The drawback is that it will require three drives and you will lose a large percentage of your space.