Jump to content

Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

"Thunderbird" Sabotaged by Trojan-in-an-E-mail


  • Please log in to reply

#1
scottportraits

scottportraits

    Member

  • Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 152 posts
Feb 24, 2008

Hello GTG Technicians,

I have spent the last week fixing the damage done by a bad e-mail trojan. I use Mozilla's "Thunderbird" with my little safe-mail.net 'POP' account. After the assault, the main damage was hardest hit in this Thunderbird application. We've been up and down through it in the Malware Forum, and my logs all post clean. The guy even helped me restore the 'Recovery Console' which a Combo.fix run said was not properly installed (got damaged from trojan?) . So we are about to close the topic there. That link is :
http://www.geekstogo.com/forum/Recovery-Console-NOT-Installed-Combo-Fix-Warns-
t187950.html&gopid=1172392#entry1172392


Now one of the remaining damaged features is my Thunderbird server. I have uninstalled, rebooted, and re-installed it twice through. It keeps applying the quirky bad behavior that I am about to describe.

Opening any e-mail that is already in the inbox displays it as an HTML source code usually displays, when you click that option in any browser. My Thunderbird settings are View > Character Encoding > Auto-detect OFF; radio button on Western (ISO-8859-1). I'm pretty sure this is how it always was.

Going to Tools > Options > Display tab I find nothing irregular....nor do any of the settings in 'Options', or account settings.

All I know is that it worked fine until I downloaded a batch of new mail and opened one that had a trojan in it. It seems one of the other Ebay'ers was peeved that I won an item he was also bidding on. So he sends me an e-mail advertising a better deal outside of EBay. Foolish, but I opened it, suspected trouble and quickly deleted it. After that all my e-mails that download from SAFE-MAIL.NET read-out as HTML code, sort of. It looks similar, but in any case it is gibberish and unreadable. Other damage was done, but we have fixed it and bleached out all infections from my OS/PC.

I'd copy and paste a sample of an e-mail, but the app is currently uninstalled from my system. I am doing the e-mails direct from safe-mail.net, but that is clumsy. I believe the damage must be embedded in "User Settings" or some such place, and must be purged and wiped clean so we can re-install and re-configure 'Thunderrbird' up from scratch.

I like Thunderbird and have been using it for years over Outlook, etc. So I would be greatly appreciative if someone helped me through this glitch and got back my trusty old e-mail server.

Thanks folks, you're the BEST,

-scottportraits
  • 0

Advertisements


#2
scottportraits

scottportraits

    Member

  • Topic Starter
  • Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 152 posts
March 4, 2008

Okay, well I 've fixed this now on my own, so we'll close the topic and call this matter 'resolved'.

Thank You,

-scottportraits
  • 0






Similar Topics

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

As Featured On:

Microsoft Yahoo BBC MSN PC Magazine Washington Post HP