Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Halo PC ping

• Please log in to reply

hossgotham

hossgotham

• Pip
  • 3 posts
I have a pretty old laptop (I would say 5 years old now) and I just installed halo pc on it to play and noticed that even though i brought all the resolutions down and such to create less lag, I still ping really high in servers and can't really play because I'm lagging. Is there a specific reason as to why? Is it just because the laptop can't handle the game. Years ago when it had come out on PC I used to play fine, but now it isn't the same....any feedback? Thanks...

Advertisements

starjax

starjax

Global Moderator

• Global Moderator
  • 6,678 posts
lag is for two reasons. network latency. Normally caused by being a long away from the actual server. If you know the ip address of the server you can go into your command prompt and ping that address to see what the results are.

The other reason is that you just don't have enough video/system specs to run the game. Normally this is graphics related.

stettybet0

stettybet0

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 2,579 posts
A high ping would suggest that the problem is the first one starjax described, network latency. As he said, high latency can be caused by physical distance from the server, or more commonly due to your Internet Service Provider (ISP). If you have dial-up or some forms of broadband, your internet connection could be the problem. Also, if you have a router it could be significantly hindering performance if it is not configured properly for the game.

To verify this is a latency problem, try running the single player game. If you don't lag anymore, then it is a latency problem. If you do, then it is a hardware problem and your laptop can't handle playing the game at your chosen settings.

Edited by stettybet0, 26 February 2008 - 03:10 PM.

hossgotham

hossgotham

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
Could it also be that I am playing the game with a wireless connection? Would that make any difference if I wasn't?

starjax

starjax

Global Moderator

• Global Moderator
  • 6,678 posts
yes. wireless connections add latency and overhead. try running it with a direct connection (cable) and see how it works.

Edited by starjax, 26 February 2008 - 06:51 PM.

Dragon nerd

Dragon nerd

• Pip
  • 2 posts
Ya i play that to in a matter a fact im playing it right now :) .It might be that the computers slow or your in a mobed server that was messed with thats a bout it i hope come back to geeks to go for your techincail probs seeya :)

hossgotham

hossgotham

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
Well I did everything you guys said and it worked pretty well. I'm definitely not pinging as high anymore and I am not lagging to the point where I can't shoot. Thanks a bunch. I appreciate all of your guys' input.