Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

OK Million Dollar Question!

• Please log in to reply

racinmason001

racinmason001

• PipPipPip
  • 195 posts
I have a modified HP m7480n pc it was bought maybe 2 years ago. Since then I have changed the psu (600w BFG), video card(8800gt BFG), case(Xion), and added some hard drives via pci controller card. I am now ready to replace the mobo, cpu, ram, and O.S. (since the O.S. is tied to the mobo) I am upgrading to a q6600, gigabyte mobo, w/ 2gb patriot extreme performance ddr2-800. I do game quite often and I am wondering if I should buy a new copy of xp or go with vista ultimate? Is the peformance hit really that noticable in vista or is this just a framerate monitoring thing and nothing the human eye can see? Please keep vista bashing to a minimum as I am trying to keep an open mind to it.

Advertisements

hfcg

hfcg

The hippie freak computer geek

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,496 posts
Hello,
I am not a gamer, so I do not have any knowledge about the gaming issues
I have used vista fo about a year now, and I am pleased.
Every thing that is said about Vista now, was said about XP then.
Give it a try, or better yet dual boot with XP.

racinmason001

racinmason001

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 195 posts
Well the whole problem with dual booting is all I have are restore disks from this stupid hp comp and once I switch mobo's the xp O.S. will not be valid right?

hfcg

hfcg

The hippie freak computer geek

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,496 posts
That is correct.

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,841 posts

Well the whole problem with dual booting is all I have are restore disks from this stupid hp comp and once I switch mobo's the xp O.S. will not be valid right?

Yes that's right.

I have heard this question asked many times... Because of your hardware choices (i.e. good-quality) I strongly recommend you grab Vista, I have the Home Premium version and it's fantastic, I love it. I can run games smoothly on very high settings on my current monitor (17-inch 1280x1024 resolution), and on high settings on my friend's 22-inch widescreen 1680x1050 resolution. Crysis being the exception so far, some settings are on medium with most on high on the 22-inch widescreen, but it does look so good :)

My complete system is in my profile if you wish to compare and get an idea.

Cheers

Troy