Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Connect Dial Up Connection Problem

• Please log in to reply

cubacheski

cubacheski

• PipPip
  • 14 posts
I have been working with someone over in the Malware boards and got my computer cleaned up and running fast again but seem to be having another problem. The person I have been dealing with suggested that I post it over here for some help. He suggested that I use Firefox or Opera as a browser instead of IE so I downloaded both. I am connected to the internet via a cable modem. While on the internet and using Firefox I keep getting a box in Firefox popping up asking me to connect via a dial up connection with the number and all my log in information. Is this just a setting that needs to be adjusted in Firefox? It just came up again and it says "Connect Dial-Up Connection" at the top left. Even when I am on the internet it will pop up and if it does it will not allow you to browse until it is closed. Very strange. Any help would be appreciated. Thank you.

Bryan

Advertisements

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
While working in the system, you might see the dial-up connection dialog coming up automatically. This is caused by some application which is trying to connect to the internet. The exact application is unknown. Most applications are configured/designed to check for updates automatically by contacting home. Some applications notify the user before contacting their servers, most don't. This may be caused by parasites as well. Adware contact their servers to fetch Ads and some Trojan may even send out your valuable information.

To prevent this automatic dialup box, turn off the Remote Access Auto Connection Manager Service. This Service creates a connection to a remote network whenever a program references a remote DNS or NetBIOS name or address. To disable this service, try these steps:

* Right click My Computer icon, choose Manage/Services and Applications/Services
* In the right pane, select Remote Access Auto Connection Manager and double click
* Use the Startup type drop box and choose Disabled.

You may identify the outgoing traffic using an application-based firewall like Sygate or Zone Alarm. Also, it's advisable to scan for parasites. Use any of these programs to eliminate the parasites.