Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

the memory could not be written

• Please log in to reply

andy1911

andy1911

• Pip
  • 8 posts
Hi i am new to the site and new to all these problems
anytime i shut down a program games or internet explorer ect i get error messages like

windows aplication error
the instruction at "0x1000b097" referenced memory at "0x7e41eae3". the memory could not be written
click on ok to terminate the program.

now this happens all the time and is getting very annoying
i have try'd disabeling the D.E.P which did not work
if anyone could help im sure i will need too supply some other info for you guys to help me but i dont know what or where to find any so if you need anyhting just tell me where to find it and i will post it asap.
also i know its not a hardware problem as all my pc is new plus i have just recently had my cpu motherboard and memory tested.

Advertisements

MichWasHere

MichWasHere

• PipPipPip
  • 424 posts
Hi Andy :)

Please check your event viewer and post the error as it is listed there.

click 'start'>select 'control panel'>open 'administrative tools'>open 'event viewer.'

Double click on the error, this will open a new window with more detailed information. There should be a copy button, click it, then paste (ctrl+v) the information in a new post.

andy1911

andy1911

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
Event Type: Information
Event Source: Application Popup
Event Category: None
Event ID: 26
Date: 25/02/2008
Time: 18:16:52
User: N/A
Computer: GAMING
Description:
Application popup: Windows - Application Error : The instruction at "0x1000b097" referenced memory at "0x7e41eae3". The memory could not be "written".

Click on OK to terminate the program

For more information, see Help and Support Center at http://go.microsoft....link/events.asp.

is this what you mean??

MichWasHere

MichWasHere

• PipPipPip
  • 424 posts
Yep thats what I mean and darn. I was hoping for a file name or something to narrow it down :)

Did you make any changes to your system before you started getting the error, installing a new program etc.? (I have seen people with this problem being caused by Divx)

This happens all the time when you do specific actions or it happens with everything? (If it is a specific program you can try uninstalling/reinstalling the program).

If we can't pinpoint a specific program/file then I would suggest heading over the the malware forums and seeing if you could have picked up something along those lines.

You could also go through this thread here to see if anything matches your problem and try their solution... http://www.geekstogo...tten-t4911.html

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,091 posts
Do you have SP2 applied? What about updates, are you current?

Edit:

Also check Virtual memory settings.
  • Right click on My Computer, select Properties, Advanced Tab.
  • In the Performance section click Settings button.
  • Click on the Advanced tab.
  • Under Virtual Memory, click the Change button.
What are the settings? Recommended values are:
  • Minimum: 1.5 times installed RAM
  • Maximum: 3 times installed RAM

Edited by Ztruker, 25 February 2008 - 02:04 PM.

andy1911

andy1911

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
no changes as such its a new build fresh install of windows and all it happens with a few diff programs

andy1911

andy1911

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
all current updates for sp2

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,091 posts
Andy, see my updated post about Virtual Memory.

andy1911

andy1911

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
my virtual memory is min=3072 max=4096

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,091 posts
Is it only network based programs that cause the problem? If not, try the following:

How does it behave if you boot to Safe Mode with Networking? If better then something is starting at boot that is causing the problem. Try the following:

First, physically disconnect from the Internet to prevent a malware infection while your Anti-virus and/or Firewall are disabled in the following steps, then do a normal boot:

Click on Start then Run, type msconfig and press Enter.
Click on the Startup tab and disable everything (I mean everything).
Do a regular boot, see if it runs normal.
If yes then use msconfig to enable several items at a time till you find the culprit.

If no, click on the Services tab. Check the Hide All Microsoft Services box then click the Disable All button.
Again, do a regular boot, see if it runs normal.
If yes then use msconfig to enable services till you find the culprit.

Once you've found the culprit, uninstall it or find out how to eliminate it from your system. Simply disabling it in msconfig is a temporary fix at best.

Reconnect to the Internet when your AV and firewall are active again.

Advertisements

andy1911

andy1911

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
going to my kip now will try this 2morrow when i get home from work thx :)

andy1911

andy1911

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
ok done all that and did not find the problem it still happens grrrr i have done multaple scans of my pc and found no problems with virus or spy/add ware

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,091 posts
Okay, let's try ShellExVIew. Download it from here: http://www.nirsoft.n...s/shexview.html

Run it. Make it full screen, then click on the Company column header. That should bring all the pink entries to the top (at least it does for me). They are all non-Microsoft on my computer.

Try disabling the pink entries, a few at a time and testing or disable all the pink entries and test. If it makes a difference then start re-enabling them a few at a time till you find the culprit.

Note that you are not deleting anything, just disabling them. Re-enable them to put everything back.

andy1911

andy1911

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
ok done that and still have same problem with all of them disabled
also i put on sp3 to see if that fixed it and no it still happens.

Edited by andy1911, 29 February 2008 - 04:25 PM.

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,091 posts
Are you using IE6 or IE7? If IE7, uninstall it.

To uninstall IE7, open Add or Remove Programs. Check the "Show updates" box at the top. Scroll down to Windows Internet Explorer 7 and remove it. When done, you should have IE6 back.

Next, go to the Windows Update site. Uncheck the "Windows Internet Explorer 7.0 for Windows XP" update.
Check the "Don't show this update again" box that appears below the details.
Click on the "Review and Install Updates" link. This seems to be what really locks in the change.
You should see a Important - You've hidden important updates yadda yadda stuff.
That should stop Windows Update from bugging you about installing IE7.

If IE6, start it, open Tools then Folder Options then Manage Add-ons. Disable all Add-ons.

See if either of the above make a difference.