Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Need help finding and choosing motherboard

• Please log in to reply

richjacksonkc

richjacksonkc

• Pip
  • 1 posts
Hey guys,
this is my first post here so I hope in in the right forum, but here goes...

I recently came across a P4 2.5ghz processor at a garage sale for 10 bucks. I'm not 100% sure the processor works, but I'd like to try it out in a cheap backup system. I currently have a wide array of old and older pc components and I'd like to use as much of that as possible to assemble this system. So here's where I need the help. I need to select a motherboard that has both simm and dimm slots (I currently have 3 256 simm modules but if the processor works out I'll probably replace that with DIMMs) and if possible (although I'm not even sure if it's compatible) I'd like to get a motherboard that has room for my scsi controller (the old big card). So basically I'm looking for a motherboard that is going to support some of my old components as well as new one's I'll upgrade to if the processor works fine. Any advice?

Rich

Advertisements

MichWasHere

MichWasHere

• PipPipPip
  • 424 posts
I would have to say advice being... find an old motherboard and build an old beater for a toy or toss the scsi controller and ram.

Finding something that will work with your older parts almost guarantees that you will have a very difficult time upgrading it later.

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,841 posts
Hi there,

Also you need to find out what socket the processor is, to be able to match it to a motherboard.

Troy