Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

PCMIA Wireless Card - Device Cannot Start

• Please log in to reply

kevinsy

kevinsy

• Pip
  • 3 posts
I am having trouble installing a wireless LAN cardbus adapter. I have tried uninstalling and reinstalling, got the most up to date driver from the manufacturers website, tried windows update, all of which have not fixed the problem. The device is a Micronet SP906GK/SP908GK 54M Wireless LAN Network Adapter. I am using WinXP SP2. When I install the driver I get an error in device manager saying This device cannot start - code 10". I get this error even if i have not plugged the card in so this leads me to believe its due to settings rather than a faulty card (its brand new). I have searched with google and some say it could be a IRQ conflict but in device manager i cannot enter resourses as it is not recognising the adapter. This is the event log i am getting:

Date: 24/02/2008
Source: PCMIA
Time: 22:04:42
Category: None
Type: Error
Event ID: 10
User: N/A
Computer: KIM
Description:
The description for Event ID ( 10 ) in Source ( Pcmcia ) cannot be found. The local computer may not have the necessary registry information or message DLL files to display messages from a remote computer. You may be able to use the /AUXSOURCE= flag to retrieve this description; see Help and Support for details. The following information is part of the event: \Device\Pcmcia0.

Data: Bytes
0000: 00 00 04 00 01 00 5a 00 ......Z.
0008: 00 00 00 00 0a 00 06 c0 .......À
0010: 01 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 ........
0018: 01 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 ........
0020: 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 ........
0028: 00 00 00 00 ....

I was then given this advice:

Try downloading the newest driver and saving it to your hard drive. DO NOT run.
With the card plugged in, Remove the card via, Device Manager
Immediately reboot
Stop the New Hardware Wizard if it tries to automatically install the card
Use your new driver file to manually install the card

I have just tried this and still the same, Device cannot start - code 10. I have also tried uninstalling the utility, and just installing the driver and was also the same. I would be thinking the card must be faulty but when i install the driver before plugging in the card I get the error without it plugged in. Also it isnt the PCMIA slot as that works with a different card (LAN card but would rather have the wireless working). I think this must be a conflict with some other driver but dont know how to find out or resolve the problem, any ideas???

All help greatly appreciated

Thanks

Kevin

Advertisements

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,065 posts
Hi kevinsy, welcome to G2G.

What is the make/model of your computer?
What Service Pack level are you at?
Are all Windows Updates applied?

kevinsy

kevinsy

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
Hi, Its a compaq presario 700, little bit old i know but just need it for browsing the web etc, and is a pain having to strech a network cable across the floor of the sitting room. anyway, Its Windows XP Home Edition, Version 2002, Service Pack 2. All windows updates up to date.

Thanks again

Kevin

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,065 posts
Can you define it a bit more (make/model)? The HP web site has over 300 hits for "presario 700"? Is it a 700A, 700B, etc. I'm assuming it's a laptop (notebook).

kevinsy

kevinsy

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
Hi, its a compaq presario 700 and the model number is 705EA. Yes is a laptop.

Thanks again

kev