Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Earthlink keeps trying to install Itself

• Please log in to reply

Naree

Naree

• PipPip
  • 19 posts
Hello!
I need some help.
A long time ago I had earthlink, both Dial-Up and DSL.
I now have comcast, so I wish to be rid of Earthlink. But when windows loads up, I get a Windows Installer pop-up that tries to install their Total Access Core Applications, it also pops up in other circumstances, like using Internet Explorer (I use Fire Fox.)
Worse, It requires their CD, which I have lost.
I deleted EVERYTHING of Earthlink I could find, but it persists, help please?

Edited by Naree, 25 February 2008 - 08:30 PM.

Advertisements

Matt Brownn

Matt Brownn

• PipPip
  • 24 posts
look in the add remove programs in control panel or look in your program files and look for a Earthlink folder and delete it... the only two things i can really think of besides formatting to get rid of EVERYTHING.

Naree

Naree

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts

look in the add remove programs in control panel or look in your program files and look for a Earthlink folder and delete it... the only two things i can really think of besides formatting to get rid of EVERYTHING.

That is what I did. I can't find a trace of it.

Matt Brownn

Matt Brownn

• PipPip
  • 24 posts
hmm if it is no where to be found you can either do a system restore to before you installed it OR you can reinstall Windows. either way you will lose all your programs. i can't think of a better way i'm pretty sure that there is someone else that can better assist you though. Sorry I can't really help.

Major Payne

Major Payne

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 5,307 posts
Download and run CCleaner. You may have some Registry keys that need removing. Make sure you click OK when CCleaner asks if you want to make a Registry backup.

Ron

Edited by Major Payne, 25 February 2008 - 09:33 PM.

Naree

Naree

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts
Hmmm, well I did run CCleaner, and though I'm not sure I used it right, I ran the registry scanner, and fixed everything.
Doesn't seem at this point to have solved my problem.
What could make Windows Installer want to install EarthLink whenever Windows starts up?

Major Payne

Major Payne

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 5,307 posts
Go to Start, Run and type in msconfig. Select Services tab. Check the box at bottom to "Hide All Micro$oft Services". Look through the list and uncheck any related Earthlink service. Then select Startup tab and look through list for any related Earthlink set to start at boot up. Uncheck boxe(s) if any. Note command path and/or Registry key path. These you can use to look for entries in Windows Explorer or using the regedit program if a Registry key.

Maybe one of these on this Earthlink Search page will fit your problem.

Possibly one of these four methods will help if the suggestions above don't.

Ron

Naree

Naree

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts
I went into the Registry Edit and searched earth (As In earthlink) And found this:

NAME TYPE DATA

(defult) REG_SZ (Value Not Set)

1 REG_SZ EarthLink;1

DiskPrompt REG_SZ [1]

MediaPackage REG_SZ \Windows\access\

May something here have something to do with it, such as "1" or "DiskPrompt"?

Major Payne

Major Payne

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 5,307 posts
Easiest way to find out is to do a complete backup of the Registry and set that data value to 0 and reboot.

Ron

Edited by Major Payne, 26 February 2008 - 03:27 PM.

Naree

Naree

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts
So how do I back it up,
What can go wrong,
and if something does go wrong, how do I fix it?

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,065 posts
An excellent way to do this is to install ERUNT. Let it add an entry to your Start menu during the install process. That will allow ERUNT to backup your registry each time you boot. It only takes a few seconds and has no real impact on boot time. Run ERUNT immediately after installing it to create a full registry backup.

To restore a registry backup, go to the \Windows\ERDNT folder, Choose the backup you want to restore and double click on it's erdnt.exe.

Naree

Naree

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts
What are the chances doing this will harm my PC?
The files appear in the "Media" file, under "Products", which is under "Installer", which is under "H_KEY_CLASSES_ROOT"

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,065 posts
About zero, but that is why ERUNT is so nice. If you do something wrong, you can restore the reg backup easily, even f4rom the Recovery Console if needed.

Naree

Naree

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts

About zero, but that is why ERUNT is so nice. If you do something wrong, you can restore the reg backup easily, even f4rom the Recovery Console if needed.

But I don't have any boot disks or anything.

I just tried it, and it didn't do anything. (Make the Values 0).

Edited by Naree, 28 February 2008 - 01:58 PM.

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,065 posts
When you used regedit to search for earth, did you repeat the search until none were found? Just press F3 to do this.

A much easier way to search the registry is to use RegSeeker. Use it's Find in registry feature to locate all instances of earth.