Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

C & D drives

• Please log in to reply

tortoise641

tortoise641

• Pip
  • 4 posts
they are backwords as in my C should be my D and my D should be my D how do i flip them because i have no clue and if i am using incorrect terms i mean the first two drives you see when you open my computer

Edited by tortoise641, 25 February 2008 - 08:47 PM.

Advertisements

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,091 posts
Hi tortoise641, welcome to G2G.

How ever they are is how they have to stay. If you change the drive letters your system will no longer boot.

Can you post a picture that shows what they are? Open My Computer, click on View and select Details. Capture that and upload it here:

Directions to do this are here: http://www.geekstogo...st-t185663.html

It should look something like this: [attachment=18793:My_Computer.jpg]

tortoise641

tortoise641

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
well then ummm from your picture it looks like i might be wrong but here is the picture non the less
http://img141.images...fdsfdqq2.th.png

wekk then umm teh thing is im am downloading a game and it wants to put 2.5 G bytes in my C drive in wich would be the single largest part of the whole dingdang dong thing which bugs,because all the files in there are relativly small and even soo ive amssed in 4.8G C drive to have only 1.33G left i still think this is weird because it only wants to put mere kilobytes in my D drive which seems like they should be flipped or perhaps the game is downloading backwards???

(if pick isnt working it would show: C 4.87 G total size 1.33 G free space
D 52.3 G total size 30.2 G free space

tortoise641

tortoise641

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
this is continueing to be a problem can someone explain why things want to put things in the wrong dirves

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,091 posts
tortoise641, that is not the question you originally asked. You said they were backward (swapped?) and could you swap (flip) them and the answer is definitely no.

The question you are asking now is why is a Game that I am downloading or have download trying to put 2.5GB of files on my C: drive. I want it on the D: drive.

Is this occurring during the download of the game or when you are installing it?

If downloading, use a different web browser, like FireFox. Once installed, start it and click on Tools then Options. Under Download Options, check Always ask me where to save files.

Now use FireFox to download the game and save it to a folder on the D: drive. When you install the Game, take the Custom path if offered so you can tell it where to install to, and again, chose a folder on the D: drive.

Hope this answers your question. If not, please ask again.

BTW: A XP boot drive of 4.87GB is way too small. A minimum of 10GB is recommended, I prefer 15 to 20GB.

tortoise641

tortoise641

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
ok thanks that helps alot and i thought it was small but im impeded as far as money is concerned, but thanks for your help

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,091 posts
You can get back some space on the C: drive by doing the following:
  • Right click on the Recycle Bin and select Properties. Move the slider down to 2% or so.
  • Click on Start, Programs, Accessories, System Tools, System Restore. Click on System Restore Settings on the left.
  • Select C: then click on Settings. Move the slider to the left till you get under 500MB.
  • Start IE, click on Tools then Internet Options. Click on Delete files. Check Delete all off line content and click OK.