Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Linksys router problems

• Please log in to reply

Middlearthbound

Middlearthbound

• Pip
  • 4 posts
Hi,

My roommate and I have been using a Linksys WRT54G wireless router for about 8 months now, with no problems. I have a notebook running vista, and He has a notebook with XP.

Today, he tried to reset the router because we could not log into the settings via 192.168.1.1. no passwords would work. Anyway, since then we have been able to connect to the network, but not the internet. I can connect to the net through a cable to the modem, but running that same cable from the modem to the router doesn't produce an internet connection. The strange thing is, our cable TV box stopped working at the same time. I can plug the cable directly into the TV and it works, but trying to run the cable from my DVR box to the tv just leaves the menus and stations blank.

I am pretty worthless when it comes to this stuff, but it seems rather strange that my TV cable and cable internet both stopped working.

Any ideas would be appreciated.

Advertisements

pip22

pip22

Trusted Tech

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,663 posts
Welcome to Geeks2Go, Middlearthbound.

I can't help you with the TV problem, but for the internet you may have to enter a wireless security key in your wireless adaptors configuration software -- if you have reset the router it will probably have returned to it's default wireless security key (ie the 'wep' or 'wpa-psk' key) that it had originally. This would certainly be the cause of your problem if you had previously changed the key or disabled the wireless security before the reset.

Edited by pip22, 26 February 2008 - 01:07 PM.