Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Screensaver and Lock up

• Please log in to reply

BPak

BPak

• PipPip
  • 14 posts
I have XP with SP2 running on computer with AMD processor. 800mhz
250mb ram

When I leave the computer idle for a period and then come back to it I find the Screensaver has stalled and the windows system has locked up.

I usually have internet explorer runnong on a web site which refreshes the page every minute. So I am not being dropped from internet.

Just whole computer locks up. And it appears to have something to do with the Screensaver running.

I turned the Screensaver off and now it appears to work OK.

Any advice please?

Advertisements

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,091 posts
What screensaver? Is it one you added or did it come with XP? There are some problems with some video cards and 3D screen savers so try a different one.

Edited by Ztruker, 25 February 2008 - 10:50 PM.

BPak

BPak

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts
It is the Stars screensaver called Starfield.

Standard with XP as far as I know.??

tallin

tallin

• PipPipPip
  • 277 posts
Hi BPak,

I would not bother with a screen saver if I were you as it does not save anything as far as I know. Here is a quote below from researching on google.

They don't actually save anything on modern computer monitors. Older monitors would sometimes get "burn-in". A ghosting image from what was displayed for a long time. The screen savers kept the pixels "moving" so that burn-in didn't occur. Now screen savers are just for amusement or basic password protection if you set a password.

This is what I do to save my monitor which works well for me.

Right click on a free space on your desktop > properties > screensaver tab > select none > powertab > power schemes always on > turn off monitor after 5 minutes > turn off hard drive never > system standby never > apply > ok. You will find your desktop goes black when you are away saving power and the monitor.

Others may have other ideas they can post here.

kind regards,

BPak

BPak

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts
Hi Ztruker,

The Video Card is NVIDIA GeForce2 MX/MX 400
Driver version: nv4_disp.dll
Driver: nv4_mini.sys

Probably this is the problem area. The Card would be 5 or 6 years old now and probably needs an update to the driver. Though I have been unable to find one for it.

Thanks for that info tallin and for sure I will give that a try.

Edited by BPak, 25 February 2008 - 11:44 PM.

Broni

Broni

Kraków my love :)

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,300 posts
Here is your driver: http://www.versiontr...einfo/win/45683

BPak

BPak

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts
Bronl,

thanks for the link to the NVidia updated driver.

It is working great!

BPak
:)