Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Gateway GT5034 Dead, replaced HDD, ran restore.

• Please log in to reply

ZR2 MIKE

ZR2 MIKE

• Pip
  • 4 posts
Help please with a Gateway GT5034 -

As I was working on the computer i heard an audible "Click" and then my system was locked up. I still had my desktop displayed on my screen but it was locked. Rebooted to a black screen and the cases fan ran on high. So, I replaced put the HDD in an external enclosure and plugged it into my laptop and got nothing but a mass storage device error. So, I put a new HDD in the Gateway and ran the restore disk only to have it reboot to a black screen with XP not even trying to load once I pull the OEM system restore disk out of the CD drive. I repeated this three times with the same results. It my be noteworthy to include that the 2nd and 3rd time I ran the OEM restore disk it did not want to boot back to the CD ROM Drive to run the disk. In order to get it to boot from the CD I had to unplug the power supply from the AC and push the case's power buttone in for several seconds. When I would first push the button the led would briefly light up and quickly diminish as if it had a slight charge of power in it even when the AC cord was unplugged. After this process then the computer would boot up from the CD drive and run the System Restore disc. At this time it gave me the option to format the HDD before restoring to factory settings. I chose to format NTFS. But to no luck, when I booted back up with the restore disk out it would boot up to a black screen everytime and case fan would seem to run on high. I did let it sit a while in this state hoping, but natta.

So . . .
What would be the next logical assumption? Bad Motherboard?
I'm not a tech so I will need some help here.

It sounds weird to me because the restore disk seemed to run fine and the HDD formatted.
I assume the CPU is perfectly fine since the system restore disk ran fine.
Could the Motherboards BIOS be damaged?
Is there anything else this could be besides the motherboard?
Should I just get a new case, motherboard, and power supply?
I realize my OEM Restore disk won't work but I do have a full Win2000 copy I could revert to.
Is Win2000 compatable with the (newer than it) AMD 64 dual core CPU?

I read here on the forum (reply post by Samm) that the Gateway GT5034 Motherboard is a "Foxconn C51GU01" I read as well is almost impossible to get a replacement for.
Athlon 64x2 4200+ socket 939, DDR400 (PC3200) Mem.

I'm not in an immediate rush to get this machine running right away as I bought a replacement for it already (out of necessity). But it would be well worth it if I could get it back running for under a couple hundred bucks.

Any help or advice on my situation will be greatly appreciated. Thanks

Advertisements

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
Motherboard's shot. Or the IDE controller has failed.
Rather than messing about with what will be a sub-standard board (most branded computers use cheap generic boards), rather than messing about, just drop your processor, memory and heatsink into a new Socket 939 board where they're still available.
A lot of new hardware is beginning to phase out support for Windows 2000 so do check the system requirements before you buy.

ZR2 MIKE

ZR2 MIKE

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
Thanks for the reply. I figured it was fried.
I was looking at getting the Mash Speed MSNV-939 motherboard and a new case but Tiger Direct no longer is offering it.

Any suggestions? Maybe I should just get a newer mobo and processor. Gayeway/emachine parts gave me a price of $159.95 + shipping to replace the Foxconn C51GU01 board. But how long will it last. Only a 90-day wrnty. But for that price I can get a bare bone and put the gateway parts in the new case. What to do... what to do... Time to browse TG and NewEgg some more.

ZR2 MIKE

ZR2 MIKE

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
Looks pretty hard to find a decent 939 board. And it looks like a new processor combo is going to run me more than I wanted because I'd have to buy new RAM too. That sucks.

OK, I found the Foxconn Mobo for the Gateway machine at this website for $120. Thats a better price and I bet shipping is a lot less than Gateway's.

OK, I guess my next question is why do these boards fail in the first place? Is it heat? If I install extra fans with the Foxconn Mobo last a lot longer? Even if I get another two years out of this gateway box I think that would be worth $120.00