Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Internet Connection Drops

• Please log in to reply

rff123

rff123

• PipPip
  • 11 posts
My internet connection drops constantly. I cannot determine whether it is a hardware, driver, program, or settings issue. Connectivity is worse when wireless laptop is online (streaming a movie or playing interactive games), with dropped connections every few minutes.

I stream a radio station 24/7 through RealPlayer on the wired desktop computer, my girlfriend watches movies and plays interactive games on the wireless laptop where the content/games is through Chinese websites)

*Comcast Cable Internet Connection, Linksys BEFCMU10 Cable Modem, Linksys WRT54GX2 WIreless-G router.

*Desktop: HP Pavilion a1610n (hardwired) using NVIDIA nForce Networking Controller, Windows XP ME, SP2

*Laptop: Dell E1405 Inspiron using wireless card (Dell Wireless 1390 WLAN Minicard), Windows XP SP2

The following events (1002, 1003) seem to occur most often and always back-to-back when I look at the System Event Viewer. For example:

Warning; Source: Dhcp Event: 1003

Your computer was not able to renew its address from the network (from the DHCP Server) for the Network Card with network address ************. The following error occurred:
The operation was canceled by the user. . Your computer will continue to try and obtain an address on its own from the network address (DHCP) server.

Error; Source: Dhcp Event: 1002

The IP address lease 192.168.1.100 for the Network Card with network address ************ has been denied by the DHCP server 192.168.1.1 (The DHCP Server sent a DHCPNACK message).

Other Errors:

Source: NetBT Event 4321
The name "MSHOME :1d" could not be registered on the Interface with IP address 192.168.1.101. The machine with the IP address 192.168.1.100 did not allow the name to be claimed by this machine.

Source:IPNATHLP Event 32003
The Network Address Translator (NAT) was unable to request an operation of the kernel-mode translation module. This may indicate misconfiguration, insufficient resources, or an internal error. The data is the error code.

Below is the hardwired HP DESKTOP info. The only differences on LAPTOP
IP Config. (besides an ethernet adaptor) is that the NODE type is set to Broadcast, and last 3 digits of IP address is .104

Windows IP Configuration

Host Name . . . . . . . . . . . . : **
Primary Dns Suffix . . . . . . . :
Node Type . . . . . . . . . . . . : Hybrid
IP Routing Enabled. . . . . . . . : No
WINS Proxy Enabled. . . . . . . . : No

Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix . :
Description . . . . . . . . . . . : NVIDIA nForce Networking Controller
Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : **-**-**-**-**-**
Dhcp Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : Yes
Autoconfiguration Enabled . . . . : Yes
IP Address. . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.100
Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.255.0
Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.1
DHCP Server . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.1
DNS Servers . . . . . . . . . . . : 68.87.76.178
Lease Obtained. . . . . . . . . . : Monday, February 25, 2008 3:19:51 PM

Lease Expires . . . . . . . . . . : Tuesday, February 26, 2008 3:19:51 P
M

C:\Documents and Settings\HP_Administrator>Your computer was not able to renew its address from the network (from the DHCP Server) for the Network Card with network address 0018F3572729. The following error occurred:
'Your' is not recognized as an internal or external command,
operable program or batch file.

C:\Documents and Settings\HP_Administrator>The operation was canceled by the user. . Your computer will continue to try and obtain an address on its own from the network address (DHCP) server.
'The' is not recognized as an internal or external command,
operable program or batch file.

Advertisements

MichWasHere

MichWasHere

• PipPipPip
  • 424 posts
Hi rff123 :)

Things to check...
- the router is on the same subnet mask as the computers.
- both computers have different names
- a firewall on the computer blocking the router.

In any of these cases if any apply, fix the issue then reboot both computers to renew the ip settings.

If they don't renew automatically, go to a command prompt and type the following commands:
ipconfig /release
ipconfig /renew

rff123

rff123

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
Hey there MichWas Here,

Thanks for your response.

1. Host names are different.
2. Subnet masks are the same.
3. I have disabled Windows Firewall temporarily. We'll see if the issue still persists.

Also, per a suggestion I have an additional computer set up to run 4 continuous pings, 1 each to the following locations:
1. Router 2. Modem 3. One of my computers 4. Google

The ping to Google times out, while the other 3 don't. Does this info. have any significance?

MichWasHere

MichWasHere

• PipPipPip
  • 424 posts
I would have to agree with YeOldeStonecat on the other site you asked the same question on :)

This is clearly an issue between your PC..and your router. All of these errors are related to your INTERNAL network..your 192.168.1.xxx network...not your WAN interface on the router (your ISP connection).

Check the router to see if you can update the firmware
Update NIC drivers on your computers
Make sure your PCs are clean from malware, rebuild the TCP stack/winsock

Your PCs are failing to obtain an IP address from your DHCP service...which is your routers internal interface. The issue is either your router, and/or your computers.

Posting the same problem on 2 sites can cause issues when trying to fix problems, it can also waste people's time when they can be working on other things instead of helping someone that's already being helped elsewhere.

Edited by MichWasHere, 26 February 2008 - 01:20 PM.

rff123

rff123

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
MichWasHere, Thanks for the heads up regarding posting in 2 sites. This is my first time posting to a forum, so I'm not sure of protocol. Cheers.

rff123

rff123

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
After additional troubleshooting that didn't fix the problem, I purchased a new router. Connection is not dropping out. Thanks for all the suggestions.