Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

I have a couple of questions please...a little long

• Please log in to reply

Minnabird

Minnabird

• Pip
  • 6 posts
We live in a rural area. We are not able to get DSL. I currently have dial-up. I work from my home via the net, so you can probably imagine what my main problem is....connection speed or the lack of. I currently connect at 49 Kbps...on a good day. Im considering getting satellite, but it is a bit costly for my pocket. My thinking is if I had the faster connection I could make better production and could, in turn, be capable of paying the monthly bill. A few things I am not sure about...what is the difference between broadband and satellite. What is the difference between high speed internet and DSL? Would the speed from a satellite connection be enough to be worth the cost? Thanks so much. :)

Advertisements

Tal

Tal

Trusted Helper

• Retired Staff
  • 2,138 posts
Well, it depends. Usually satellite speeds are lower than DSL. You will have to give us figures given by your local satellite internet provider (connection speeds) so we can help you :)

Minnabird

Minnabird

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
The one I initially was looking at going with gave me the connection speed of 512 Kbps (basic package), 2 yr contract at 50/month, 3 month repair warranty, 2 yr equipment warranty. The one I am thinking of going with instead he did not give me the connection speed on, but said it was considerably higher than the 512 Kbps, also with a 2 yr contract at 60/month, 2 year warranty covering repair and equipment both. Currently with dial up the highest I can connect at is 49 Kbps on a good day. Often is around 45 or so.

With the type of work I do I often have to search for names of medical facilities or counties in certain states and things like that. I may have to click on an item to get a menu of names to choose from and will have to wait several seconds or longer before it pops up. These are the things I need more speed for so that I can get on with my report and not have to sit twiddling my thumbs between each function as it is so frustrating. :)

Tal

Tal

Trusted Helper

• Retired Staff
  • 2,138 posts
I think you will find such speeds sufficient for your work :) The question is, are you willing to pay the money for it. My connection is 1500 Kbps for NIS 70 which is about $20 a month. But, if you work a lot on the computer, you'll find the faster connection a very helpful! :)

If there is no other choice, I'd take it :)

Matt Brownn

Matt Brownn

• PipPip
  • 24 posts
i believe that you can't upload over satellites you upload over a dial-up connection but still its better than having dial-up download speeds.

TechGuyTom

TechGuyTom

• Pip
  • 4 posts
What kind of cellular service is in the area?
AT 50/month you may want to look into a wireless card if EVDO is offered in your area.

Minnabird

Minnabird

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
Im not really sure, I know of Verizon and Alltel, but other than that I dont know if there are others. What would be the best way to find out? Thanks.

Minnabird

Minnabird

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
Landlord...Thanks. I think I am leaning more towards going ahead and doing it, and yes, it is the only other choice that I have found so far. We are just so strapped for $$ I dont want to make a mistake taking that monthly payment on if the speed doesnt kind of pay for itself through my work if that makes sense. :) Anyway, thanks.

TechGuyTom

TechGuyTom

• Pip
  • 4 posts

Im not really sure, I know of Verizon and Alltel, but other than that I dont know if there are others. What would be the best way to find out? Thanks.

Verizon would be your best bet. You could find the information on their website but it would probably just be quicker to call them. They have a tendency to bury the information you really want to find :)

Minnabird

Minnabird

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
TechGuy..
So I would ask them about the availability of a "wireless card" ? What is that exactly?

Matt...
If that is the case wouldnt I have to pay for the use of dial up AND satellite then? I was thinking when I looked at Wild Blue's info online that it had a download and upload speed listed, so I took it to mean I would not need dial up anymore. No way I could afford both... :)

Advertisements

Anthony19

Anthony19

• PipPipPip
  • 384 posts
May i just put my 2 cents in , if you dont mind :)

Your Modem Connection speed ( 56kbps ) Does not mean your Download / Upload Speed is going to be 56 kbps , As you have Probly Found out by yourself

A 56kbps Modem on a GOOD connection will only download at 5kbps APPROX

I have a ADSL2+ modem Capable of 100Mbps And My Plan Rate is 8mbps, BUT When i Download it does not download at 8mbps , i get around 100 - 150 kbps On good connection :)

KEEP that in mind :)

Thats all..

Thank You

Anthony

ScHwErV

ScHwErV

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 21,285 posts
  • MVP

i believe that you can't upload over satellites you upload over a dial-up connection but still its better than having dial-up download speeds.

About 5 years ago, this was the case. Todays systems are more advanced and do not require a phone connection. They are up and down via satellite.

Tal

Tal

Trusted Helper

• Retired Staff
  • 2,138 posts

Landlord...Thanks. I think I am leaning more towards going ahead and doing it, and yes, it is the only other choice that I have found so far. We are just so strapped for $$ I dont want to make a mistake taking that monthly payment on if the speed doesnt kind of pay for itself through my work if that makes sense. :) Anyway, thanks.

You're welcome :)

ScHwErV

ScHwErV

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 21,285 posts
  • MVP
Minnabird, if you are truly strapped for $$, then you might want to consider other options. Satellite is nice, but its very costly. Especially since you have not truly explored all the other options available.

First, EVDO (cellular phone). This is what I use at home now. Its not true broadband, but its significantly faster than dialup and its trustworthy. I can use it anywhere. Its a card that plugs into your computer that picks up a digital cellular signal. If you call Verizon or Alltel (I use Alltel), just tell them you are looking into broadband, they will know what you are looking for. You don't have to be a tech since the people who answer their phones are not.

The other option that hasn't even been mentioned is wireless (not satellite, wireless). Wireless is a point - to - point system that will require an antenna on your house pointing to the nearest wireless ISP's tower. In my area wireless is hugely popular because its true broadband (capable up to 54mb), its significantly less expensive than satellite, its solid, and it can go where the terrain keeps cable from going. The fun part will be finding a wireless provider in your area. You can call around to the local ISPs and ask them if they know of anyone offering the service. I would bet that if you are in a rural area, you will find at least one wireless provider.

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP

First, EVDO (cellular phone). This is what I use at home now. Its not true broadband, but its significantly faster than dialup and its trustworthy. I can use it anywhere. Its a card that plugs into your computer that picks up a digital cellular signal. If you call Verizon or Alltel (I use Alltel), just tell them you are looking into broadband, they will know what you are looking for. You don't have to be a tech since the people who answer their phones are not.

also with Verizon, they've upgraded all their towers to REV A.which is conciderably faster than Rev 0....Rev A. is capable of 3.1 Mbps download and 1.8 Mbps upload (compared to Rev 0 at 2.45/.15) there's even a Rev B in the works that's supposed to be around 5mbps download (though the advantage with Rev B. will be the ability to provision multple "spectrum chunks" which will multiply your speeds)

i use my cellphone as a tethered modem with my laptop and the speeds are adequate for my needs when i'm on the road....i can use my VPN and RDP into my servers etc.. with no major lag