Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Infected by Trojan Killav and need help! [RESOLVED]

• This topic is locked This topic is locked

Stamper19

Stamper19

Expert

• Expert
  • 1,992 posts
Happy to hear things are running better.

Kapersky didnt actually find any active infections. Everything it picked up was in quarantine, specifically Housecall quarantine. You can empty that quarantine folder to get rid of those, but regardless they are no threat :)

Your anti-virus and firewall setup sounds fine. You just dont want two active AntiVirus or Firewall programs running at the same time.

Congrats - your logs are all clean :)

There are still a couple of things you should do for the sake of cleaning up.

---------------------------------------------------------------

Time for some housekeeping
  • Click START then RUN
  • Now type Combofix /u in the runbox and click OK

• Posted Image

• When shown the disclaimer, Select "2"

The above procedure will:
  • Delete the following:
    • ComboFix and its associated files and folders.
    • VundoFix backups, if present
    • The C:\Deckard folder, if present
    • The C:_OtMoveIt folder, if present
  • Reset the clock settings.
  • Hide file extensions, if required.
  • Hide System/Hidden files, if required.
  • Reset System Restore.

----------------------------------------------------------------

Otherwise, unless you have any questions, you are all set. Included below are some tips for keeping your computer malware free in the future.

Cheers,
Stamper :)

----------------------------------------------------------------

Now that you are clean, please follow these simple steps in order to keep your computer clean and secure:
  • Make your Internet Explorer more secure - This can be done by following these simple instructions:
    • From within Internet Explorer click on the Tools menu and then click on Options.
    • Click once on the Security tab
    • Click once on the Internet icon so it becomes highlighted.
    • Click once on the Custom Level button.
      • Change the Download signed ActiveX controls to Prompt
      • Change the Download unsigned ActiveX controls to Disable
      • Change the Initialize and script ActiveX controls not marked as safe to Disable
      • Change the Installation of desktop items to Prompt
      • Change the Launching programs and files in an IFRAME to Prompt
      • Change the Navigate sub-frames across different domains to Prompt
      • When all these settings have been made, click on the OK button.
      • If it prompts you as to whether or not you want to save the settings, press the Yes button.
    • Next press the Apply button and then the OK to exit the Internet Properties page.
  • Use an AntiVirus Software - It is very important that your computer has an anti-virus software running on your machine. This alone can save you a lot of trouble with malware in the future.

See this link for a listing of some online & their stand-alone antivirus programs:

Virus, Spyware, and Malware Protection and Removal Resources

• Update your AntiVirus Software - It is imperitive that you update your Antivirus software at least once a week (Even more if you wish). If you do not update your antivirus software then it will not be able to catch any of the new variants that may come out.

• Use a Firewall - I can not stress how important it is that you use a Firewall on your computer. Without a firewall your computer is succeptible to being hacked and taken over. I am very serious about this and see it happen almost every day with my clients. Simply using a Firewall in its default configuration can lower your risk greatly.

For a tutorial on Firewalls and a listing of some available ones see the link below:

Understanding and Using Firewalls

• Visit Microsoft's Windows Update Site Frequently - It is important that you visit http://www.windowsupdate.com regularly. This will ensure your computer has always the latest security updates available installed on your computer. If there are new updates to install, install them immediately, reboot your computer, and revisit the site until there are no more critical updates.

• Install Spybot - Search and Destroy - Install and download Spybot - Search and Destroy with its TeaTimer option. This will provide realtime spyware & hijacker protection on your computer alongside your virus protection. You should also scan your computer with program on a regular basis just as you would an antivirus software.

A tutorial on installing & using this product can be found here:

Using Spybot - Search & Destroy to remove Spyware , Malware, and Hijackers

• Install Ad-Aware - Install and download Ad-Aware. ou should also scan your computer with program on a regular basis just as you would an antivirus software in conjunction with Spybot.

Using Ad-aware to remove Spyware, Malware, & Hijackers from Your Computer

• Install SpywareBlaster - SpywareBlaster will added a large list of programs and sites into your Internet Explorer settings that will protect you from running and downloading known malicious programs.

Using SpywareBlaster to protect your computer from Spyware and Malware

• Update all these programs regularly - Make sure you update all the programs I have listed regularly. Without regular updates you WILL NOT be protected when new malicious programs are released.
Follow this list and your potential for being infected again will reduce dramatically.

here are some additional utilities that will enhance your safety

• IE/Spyad <= IE/Spyad places over 4000 websites and domains in the IE Restricted list which will severely impair attempts to infect your system. It basically prevents any downloads (Cookies etc) from the sites listed, although you will still be able to connect to the sites.
  • MVPS Hosts file <= The MVPS Hosts file replaces your current HOSTS file with one containing well know ad sites etc. Basically, this prevents your coputer from connecting to those sites by redirecting them to 127.0.0.1 which is your local computer
  • Google Toolbar <= Get the free google toolbar to help stop pop up windows.
  • Winpatrol <= Download and install the free version of Winpatrol. a tutorial for this product is located here:
    Using Winpatrol to protect your computer from malicious software

Advertisements

Jacksown

Jacksown

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 39 posts
I typed that command and it seemed to work, but I still have DSS and FindAWF on my desktop and kmd(windows command processor), combo fix text doc, and a couple of tmp files on my c drive that werent there before you started helping me. Can I remove those with a normal delete/uninstall?

Edited by Jacksown, 01 March 2008 - 04:09 PM.

Stamper19

Stamper19

Expert

• Expert
  • 1,992 posts
Yup - they can all go. For DSS and AWF you will will need to delete the folders. I dont believe there is an uninstall option for either. Deleting the folders will get rid of them though.

Jacksown

Jacksown

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 39 posts
Alright, I think I'm all set. I really appreciate all the help you provided me with! Thanks so much! I also donated some $ for the time you spent helping me. :) <3

Edited by Jacksown, 01 March 2008 - 09:27 PM.

Stamper19

Stamper19

Expert

• Expert
  • 1,992 posts
My pleasure, and thank you very much :)

Stamper19

Stamper19

Expert

• Expert
  • 1,992 posts
Since this issue appears to be resolved ... this Topic has been closed. Glad we could help. :)

If you're the topic starter, and need this topic reopened, please contact a staff member with the address of the thread.

Everyone else please begin a New Topic.