Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Windows XP backup utility

• Please log in to reply

hidyjane

hidyjane

• PipPip
  • 42 posts
Hi

I am considering using the backup utility preinstalled with Windows XP pro. I have a few computers that have valuable information on and I would like to make sure I never lose the data.

The computers are on a network and the backup drive will be on a separate computer on the network.

I would like to automatically configure regular back ups from the networked computers that will save to another computer with an internal large hard drive (which will also be double backed up via a USB hard drive in case of infections).

I am a bit worried about restoring the backuo if a computer goes wrong/gets infected as I do not want to lose any of the data.

Is the Windows utility a good utility or are there better programs I could use?

:)

Thanks
Hidyjane

Advertisements

Broni

Broni

Kraków my love :)

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,300 posts
I'd forget about XP backup program. You may try DriveImage XML: http://www.runtime.org/dixml.html
It's free.

pip22

pip22

Trusted Tech

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,663 posts
Welcome to Geeks2Go, hidyjane!

As with most built-in Microsoft tools & applications, there are usually better ones from third-parties, but unless they're free it put's them at a disadvantage if you're only interested in freeware. Personally, if you intend to back up a whole drive which includes the operating system, you're better off using a 'disk cloning' or 'disk imaging' utility' such as Norton Ghost (which I use regularly and highly recommend).

However, If you only intend to back up user-created files (documents etc.), Windows Backup is fine, although it can also backup the whole system drive I don't recommend it over rivals like Norton Ghost for that task.

You may wish to read this, comparing various backup programs (though it doesn't seem to have a date so some links may now be 'dead'):
http://www.backup-so...re-reviews.com/

Edited by pip22, 26 February 2008 - 01:48 PM.

Broni

Broni

Kraków my love :)

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,300 posts
DriveImage XML is disk imaging utility, it's free, and it works well. The only limitation is, it won't work with dual boot.

hidyjane

hidyjane

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 42 posts
Hi, Thanks for the input.

I had a look at all the links and Norton.

Driveimage XML has a few unanswered questions it also will not restore to a smaller partition; It's not really what I'm looking for. Thanks for the suggestion anyway :)

Norton looks OK but it's going to be costly as I have 9 computers I want to backup, that would take me to about Ł400 (Ouch). I think I might have to stick with my original idea about saving the files on the larger hard drive and use a network shortcut to access them. That way I can just use the external USB and copy the entire disk. I was a little worried about security (passwords), but I will make another topic for that question.

Thanks again for your help
Heidi :)