Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Wrong Update

• Please log in to reply

oshoshitzu

oshoshitzu

• PipPip
  • 21 posts
Does it really matter if you install a microsoft update for an application which is not on your PC?

Thanks

Advertisements

pip22

pip22

Trusted Tech

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,663 posts
Welcome to the forum

In most cases that can't happen - Microsoft updates first check to see if the 'target' application exists. If it doesn't find it, the update has nowhere to go so it won't install (and you'll get a pop-up message telling you why it won't). In any event it wouldn't do any harm, just wasting space on your hard disk.

And if you used the 'Microsoft Update' website for updates, it will only offer you updates which are relevant to your PC and what's installed on it. So it certainly can't happen when updating by that method.

Just out of curiosity, what was the update and how did you obtain it?

Edited by pip22, 26 February 2008 - 05:40 AM.

oshoshitzu

oshoshitzu

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts
There are a number of updates such as KB873379 and KB873379 I not sure if these are integral parts of Word or stand alone programs.

Also KB911701

And KB905649

I got the updates from the Microsoft Security Bulletin Search Site.

I use Office XP Pro

THANKS

Edited by oshoshitzu, 27 February 2008 - 05:32 AM.