Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

DR watson post mortem (I know its been covered) [CLOSED]

• This topic is locked This topic is locked

Essexboy

Essexboy

GeekU Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 69,964 posts
Your wish is my command

Now the best part of the day ----- Your log now appears clean :)

Double click winpfind35 once again and you should see a CleanUp! button, press that button, you may get prompted by your firewall that winpfind35 wants to contact the internet, allow this, a cleanup.txt will be downloaded, a message dialog will ask you if you want to proceed with the cleanup process, click Yes. This will delete all the tools you have downloaded plus itself

Now to get you off to a good start we will re-set your restore points so that all the bad stuff is gone for good. Then if you need to restore at some stage you will be clean. There are several ways to reset your your restore point but this is my method:

1. Select Start > All Programs > Accessories > System tools > System Restore.
2. On the dialogue box that appears select Create a Restore Point
3. Click NEXT
4. Enter a name e.g. Clean
5. Click CREATE

You now have a clean restore point, to get rid of the bad ones:

1. Select Start > All Programs > Accessories > System tools > Disk Cleanup.
2. In the Drop down box that appears select your main drive e.g. C
3. Click OK
4. The System will do some calculation and the display a dialogue box with TABS
5. Select the More Options Tab.
6. At the bottom will be a system restore box with a CLEANUP button click this
7. Accept the Warning and select OK again, the program will close and you are done

Now that you are clean, to help protect your computer in the future I recommend that you get the following free program:[*]
  • SpywareBlaster to help prevent spyware from installing in the first place.
  • SuperAntispyware Run weekly to keep your system clean
It is critical to have both a firewall and anti virus to protect your system and to keep them updated.

To keep your operating system up to date visit
  • Microsoft Windows Update

To learn more about how to protect yourself while on the internet read this article by Tony Klien: So how did I get infected in the first place?

Keep safe :)

THEN

Prefetch is clickable for more information

Click start then run, type prefetch then press enter, click edit then select all, (all files will highlight), right click any file, click delete, confirm

Click start then all programmes, accessories, system tools to run disc clean up

Reboot

Download, install and run
[url="http://www.tune-up.com/products/tuneup-utilities/"]Tuneup Utilities 2008

Select Free up disk space

Select Unneccesary files and backups then clean

Select Maintain Windows

Run Drive Defrag

Run Tune Up registry clean up

Then run Reg Defrag, the screen will lose colour during the process which can take a few minutes and then needs a reboot

Those will have cleared the drive of obsolete software errors

These are suggestions for making the most of the free trial

[b]Select Increase performance

Run the internet Optimiser to accelerate downloads, select the speed just above your actual connection speed, this requires a reboot.

After the reboot, click Increase performance then system optimizer to run system advisor

Edited by Essexboy, 06 March 2008 - 04:02 AM.
coding error

Advertisements

Danmac

Danmac

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts
Ok great i will do all of this!

BUT my documents is still saying, windows has encountered an error and needs to close!! So i guess we have found out it's not a virus and something system related... :) Oh well.

Thanks for all your time and help so far!

Really appreciate it!

Danny

Essexboy

Essexboy

GeekU Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 69,964 posts
OK lets try this after the clean up

From the Start menu, select Run.
In the Open field, type sfc /scannow (Note: There is a space between sfc and /scannow)
Select the OK button.
Follow the prompts throughout the System File Checker process.
Reboot the computer when System File Checker completes.

Let me know how that goes

Danmac

Danmac

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts
Ok so i did all of those hints and tips for speeding up my pc, worked like a charm! Also that internet speed optimisation thing is incredible! I have 512DSL which usually runs at 52 kb/s, now i have it running at 150kb/s! How is that possible?

I typed that command into RUN, but it's prompting me for Service Pack 2 CD, which i don't have. I installed SP2 off the internet.

Hmmm??

Essexboy

Essexboy

GeekU Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 69,964 posts
There is a MS KB solution for this here http://support.micro...kb/900910/en-us If you do not understand or are not sure then let me know and I will help you out :)

Essexboy

Essexboy

GeekU Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 69,964 posts
Due to lack of feedback, this topic has been closed.

If you need this topic reopened, please contact a staff member. This applies only to the original topic starter. Everyone else please begin a New Topic.