Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

explorer.exe cannot stay up

• Please log in to reply

bigght

bigght

• PipPip
  • 11 posts
Strange happening. System boots up to desktop, then all icons disappear after 10 seconds. Have background image, but no control at desktop. Tried task manager, no desktop icons. tried to run explorer.exe under task manager, no success. Any suggestions? Thanks

Advertisements

pip22

pip22

Trusted Tech

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,663 posts
Hi bigght & welcome to Geeks2Go!

Try running the 'System File Checker' (sfc.exe) Even with explorer.exe not running you can still run SFC from the Task Manager. Insert the XP Pro CD, in Task Manager click 'File'->New Task(Run). Type SFC /SCANNOW and click 'OK'

Failing that I can only suggest you re-install Windows.
It's at times like this (which will happen to everyone at some point) that email and document backups prove their worth. I hope therefore that you aren't one of those who "didn't get round to doing any backups" or "never thought about it".

Edited by pip22, 26 February 2008 - 10:42 AM.

Broni

Broni

Kraków my love :)

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,300 posts
Will it boot into Safe Mode OK?

bigght

bigght

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
thanks pip22 and broni. I had tried system file checker prior to posting thread, and unfortunately my dvd drives don't seem to be reading my xp disk correctly. I cannot boot into safe mode. So at this point, I am gonna rebuild this system, as its about 5 years old.