Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

1 x 2GB and 2 x 512MB ram

• Please log in to reply

peyote

peyote

• PipPipPip
  • 161 posts
Hi, I need some advice,

I just bought a 2GB ram stick and put it in my computer but I already had 2 x 512MB in there already so I just want to know if this will be ok or will it cause damage or conflicts ??? System seems to be running fine at the moment and is a little faster. My computer is a Scaleo P Fujitsu and it can only be upgraded to 3GB max ram and as you can't buy 1.5 GB ram (I don't think) then 3GB Max could not be achieved unless I got 2 x 2GB but that would be a waste of a GB and money.

Please help as if this is bad then I will need to take them out as soon as possible.

Many thanks

Advertisements

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
Not generally recommended in the grand scale of things but it will work.
Realistically the 3Gb limit is imposed by the board because otherwise XP and 32-bit Vista will probably complain bitterly about having too much memory.

peyote

peyote

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 161 posts
ahh cool thanks for the reply, just worried thats all. Do you think my comp would perform better if it just had 1 stick of 2GB ram rather than 1 stick of 2GB ram and 2 stick of 512MB ? Comp seems fine at the moment and no crashes or freeze as been reported by others for mixing.

One more question, is 2GB ram more efficient than 2 x 1GB ram or does it not make any difference ?

Edited by peyote, 26 February 2008 - 05:21 PM.

fstech

fstech

• PipPip
  • 38 posts
Your computer will function fine with the setup you have.

As far as the 2 vs 1 stick question. My logic would dictate that if the computer can spread out where the information can go on the motherboard it will go faster. I look at it as if you have just one entrance to a building and a ton of people going through it the people will not go through fast. But if you add one or more entrances (ie 1 or 2 pairs of RAM) the bottleneck will be reduced. Someone please let me know if my logic makes sense and if it's true in the computer world.

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts

My logic would dictate that if the computer can spread out where the information can go on the motherboard it will go faster. I look at it as if you have just one entrance to a building and a ton of people going through it the people will not go through fast. But if you add one or more entrances (ie 1 or 2 pairs of RAM) the bottleneck will be reduced. Someone please let me know if my logic makes sense and if it's true in the computer world.

Theoretically two matched pairs of RAM (so they run in dual-channel mode) are faster.
In reality, you'll be hard pushed to notice it so its not worth the upgrade on its own but it would probably be preferential as part of a more major upgrade.

peyote

peyote

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 161 posts
So adding 2GB ram stick to my computer with two 512MB ram sticks already isn;t going to make my computer that much faster ??? What else would I need to upgrade for my computer to run faster ? I've upgraded my graphic card a couple of months ago and now ram, what else would be worth upgrading ?