Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

New Particle Accelerators

• Please log in to reply

Will_00

Will_00

• PipPipPip
  • 226 posts
The Large Hadron Collidor (LHD) is now being completed to become the largest and one of the most complex physics experiment ever. It will collide particles at speeds of up to 30 million a second for up to 10 hours. They will be consistently shot at 99.99975% of the speed of light. Some major experiments generate more then 100 terabytes of collision data per second.

We really need to get one of these!

" You could think of it as the biggest, most powerful microscope in the history of science. The Large Hadron Collider (LHC), now being completed underneath a circle of a countryside and villages a short drive from Geneva, will peer into the physics of the shortest distances (down to a nano-nanometer) and the highest energies ever probed." (The Discovery of Machine, Scientific American)

Advertisements

Tal

Tal

Trusted Helper

• Retired Staff
  • 2,138 posts
Looks interesting! :) Thanks for sharing.

Major Payne

Major Payne

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 5,307 posts
I bought the pocket model at Toys-R-Us ™.

Ron

Tal

Tal

Trusted Helper

• Retired Staff
  • 2,138 posts
Ha! For how much? I have to get it :) It's a lot of time getting there though :)

Edited by landlord, 26 February 2008 - 03:26 PM.

zorba the geek

zorba the geek

• PipPipPip
  • 758 posts

We really need to get one of these!

And to do what with it?Just another expensive toy!I believe the money would be better spend on research to find a fix for what we broke,like our planet!

Landlord,why do you need a new toy?Who are you going to "Bombard" with particles at lightspeed? :) :)

Edited by zorba the geek, 26 February 2008 - 04:09 PM.

admin

admin

Founder Geek

• Community Leader
  • 24,639 posts
Interesting article here on some of the unknowns, and potential dangers: http://www.kresswork...e_my_planet.htm

Scary part is, they really don't know what's going to happen, or what might be created.

Will_00

Will_00

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 226 posts
Well, first of all it would be simply fun to blast old computers together at close to the speed of light and see what happens. Just having an enumerated piece of mass like this would be sweet - with support for all of its thousands of processors.

As well, it is most certainly a possibility that the earth, or even the entire solar system, could be "swallowed up" by a black hole's extreme gravitational pull, as there are so many out in the expanding universe.

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,841 posts

as there are so many out in the expanding universe.

It's expanding? How do you know that? I thought we were just finding more and more of it :)

Troy

Will_00

Will_00

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 226 posts
I guess those interested in Physics would know that. In fact I just watched an entire show on it on History Channel - as well I have been reading about it in all of my recent books.

Will_00

Will_00

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 226 posts
Sorry, forgot to add that it is expanding due to Dark Energy - which in fact occupies more of the universe then Dark Matter by about 50%.

stettybet0

stettybet0

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 2,579 posts

as there are so many out in the expanding universe.

It's expanding? How do you know that? I thought we were just finding more and more of it :)

Troy

How does anyone know anything? By looking at wikipedia, of course. :)

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,841 posts

This article is missing citations

Hhhhhhmmmmmmm, just a bunch of theories if you ask me :)

Troy

stettybet0

stettybet0

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 2,579 posts
Oh I see... You want a Wikipedia article with footnotes... and lots of crazy physics equations, so it must be true. :)

Edited by stettybet0, 27 February 2008 - 05:38 PM.

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,841 posts
*troy laughs and laughs... and keeps laughing so much and secretly hopes everyone will forget his comments and laugh with him...

Rocknrollcows

Rocknrollcows

• PipPipPip
  • 432 posts
thats kinda like this book my friend did a book report on O.o

these scientists created a black hole, but something went wrong and the black hole is now eating the planet O.o

http://www.google.co...lient=firefox-a