Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Celeron overclocking?

• Please log in to reply

Foxxed

Foxxed

• PipPipPip
  • 126 posts
:) i know i probably shouldn't mess with it but i want to see if i can make it a bit faster :)

Ok so i was reading that most celeron`s use 1.50-1.55 Volts preset from the factory

But mine is only using 1.49V(according to speedfan) would it be Ok to bump it up to 1.55V :) last time i tried that i got an "Failure immanent" with a high pitched alarm and then it shut it self off(I dont know how high i went though, and i also messed with a few other thing)

Here is what it says i`m running in the setup

Vcore is set at 1.47V
Clock ratio 4
and something else is set at 100 (can set from 66-166 IDK what it is, but it was something to do with clocking speeds)

So yea IDK what to do cuz i really don't want to fry anything.
*and yes i know overclocking will make the CPU hotter*

Edited by Foxxed, 26 February 2008 - 02:34 PM.

Advertisements

stettybet0

stettybet0

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 2,579 posts
Raising the voltage alone won't make your CPU run any faster. To overclock the CPU, you need to increase the FSB speed. Raising the CPU voltage can give you more headroom for high levels of overclocking, but if you have stock cooling, this is not recommended.

Please read the pinned topic on overclocking we have here so you can get the basics down. You do not want to go into changing voltages without an idea of what you are doing because you could destroy your components.

Edited by stettybet0, 26 February 2008 - 03:00 PM.

Foxxed

Foxxed

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 126 posts
Ok i read that and i changed it all a bit

Now i`ve got

Clock speed:130
Multi.: x4
Volt 1.50

And that got me from 1100Mhz up to 1440Mhz

But now that its working faster then it ever has(Seriously i just posted in 1.52Sec it used to take about 2-3 ) it seems my "video card"? isnt working when i try loading some thing in firefox like a Game, My bookmarks, or any other thing thats like Flash it come up with an Error (but it will load a video, just no sound)

"Firefox has encountered an error and must close"

Ok i just tried using WMP and it comes up with an error "WMP can not play the file because there is a probable with you sound device. There might not be a sound device installed on your computer, it might be in use my another program, or it might not be functioning correctly."

And thats Quite odd cuz i`m still using the on-board sound(not a PCI card)

Edited by Foxxed, 26 February 2008 - 03:55 PM.

stettybet0

stettybet0

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 2,579 posts
Overclocking isn't as simple as punching in numbers and watching your CPU fly. Your errors are probably the result of an unstable overclock. Please download Orthos and run the Small FFT test. If you get an error, you need to adjust the overclock. Either raise the voltage or lower the FSB (or a combination) to stabilize the overclock. If you opt to raise the voltage, make sure to monitor your CPU temperature through a program like SpeedFan to make sure it is not overheating.

Foxxed

Foxxed

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 126 posts

Overclocking isn't as simple as punching in numbers and watching your CPU fly. Your errors are probably the result of an unstable overclock. Please download Orthos and run the Small FFT test. If you get an error, you need to adjust the overclock. Either raise the voltage or lower the FSB (or a combination) to stabilize the overclock. If you opt to raise the voltage, make sure to monitor your CPU temperature through a program like SpeedFan to make sure it is not overheating.

I messed with some of the stuff

Now its set

x4
1.475 and firefox is working but my sound is still broken

I also played with a little and i had to reset my bios to get the boot screen back on

But that was with
x4
1.575 :)

I would try the test But what do you use to open a .CAB????

And I have Speedfan Set and i know it Dead on(Matches what my bios System health reads)
Currently running at 101F :) lol I did have it down to a stable 96 before i messed with anything :)

Foxxed

Foxxed

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 126 posts
Ok You where right it was unstable...I just crashed and reset mack to opt. settings and now my sound works (but i`m slower T.T)

stettybet0

stettybet0

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 2,579 posts
To use Orthos:
  • Extract the files from the downloaded .cab file (using WinZip or a similar program) to a folder.
  • Run orthos.exe.
To overclock your CPU:
  • You should start by raising the FSB by 5mhz.
  • Then boot into Windows and run Orthos for about an hour.
  • If you get no errors, raise the FSB again by 5mhz.
  • Repeat this until you get an error in Orthos within an hour.
  • Then, try raising the voltage by the smallest increment possible and try again.
  • Continue this pattern of raising the FSB and voltage until you can go no further (either due to heat or due to the limitations of the CPU).
  • When this is the case, go back down to the last stable FSB/Voltage configuration and run Orthos for a full 24 hours. If it does so without error, then you know you have a completely stable overclock. If there is an error, try combinations of raising the voltage and lowering the FSB.
Remember: Using small increments and checking for stability every step of the way is key.

Also, make sure to check temperatures with SpeedFan when Orthos is running. The temperature of a processor under load is much different than when it is idle and much more important to know.

Foxxed

Foxxed

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 126 posts
Wait...What.....

My overclock in the bois goes like this

Clock speed: 66-166
Clock ratio:X4-X20
Then Vcore A voltage
and Vcore B voltage

And thats it

stettybet0

stettybet0

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 2,579 posts
Alright, we can work with that. What is every value's default? Also, what is your CPU's default speed? (Ex. Pentium 4: 3.0Ghz)

Foxxed

Foxxed

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 126 posts

Alright, we can work with that. What is every value's default? Also, what is your CPU's default speed? (Ex. Pentium 4: 3.0Ghz)

The optimized Defaults are

Clock speed: 100
Mulit.:X4 (lowest it will go)
and Vcore A:1.475

and my Speed is 1.11Ghz
clocked speed got 1107Mhz

stettybet0

stettybet0

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 2,579 posts
What is the Vcore B set to?

Also, are you sure this is it? I'm trying to figure out how 100*4 equals 1100... Also, are you sure your multiplier is adjustable? On most CPUs it is locked, or can only be adjusted to lower-than-default values.

Foxxed

Foxxed

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 126 posts

What is the Vcore B set to?

Also, are you sure this is it? I'm trying to figure out how 100*4 equals 1100... Also, are you sure your multiplier is adjustable? On most CPUs it is locked, or can only be adjusted to lower-than-default values.

Vcore B i think is SET to 3.75 but Speedfan is reading 1.25

Yes i`m sure its adjustable (from x4-x20)

:) It confuses me to

stettybet0

stettybet0

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 2,579 posts
You wouldn't happen to have the model # of your CPU? Or any other information on it other than the fact that it is a Celeron? Also, any information on the motherboard would be helpful too.

We need to be sure of what we are dealing with before we go about making changes again.

Foxxed

Foxxed

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 126 posts
Not a clue on the CPU other then what was stated above

The Motherboard is a ATX micro
815EPT pro ver:5

There is also a "clock Chart" on here to it is
S:Y1------ FSB
1-2 4-5------- AUTO
5-6-------- 66.6-100