Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Hard Drive problem

• Please log in to reply

cometflash

cometflash

• PipPip
  • 15 posts
I have two hard drives in my computer, but it seems one of them is not longer working. The computer can not longer detect the hard driver, and I hear noises as the HD is trying to turn on, and is like turning on and off.

My question is can I use the system restore to recover any files from this driver?

I'm using XP pro, with service pack 2.

Thank you for your time.

Advertisements

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
System Restore probably won't help you - the files are on the drive in question. Sounds like the drive is mechanically dying. You may be able to run file recovery software on it but if the front screen can't see the drive, nothing else will either.

cometflash

cometflash

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts
I got a USB converter cable, so now I got the HD detected, but if I try to double click on the drive I get the fallowing message:

"E:\ is not accessible the request could not be performed because of an I/o device error"

Is it any hope?

I ask about system restore, because before the drive failed, windows try to scan the driver for problems, and start to delete everything. It scan itself without asking me.

When the windows start after that, all the files were gone, and when I click the driver, it said that I need it to format the driver.

When I used system restore, the drive got back as it used to be, with all the files restored. I know I should had saved all the files after this happen, but I didn't and because I have automatic updates on, my computer restart by itself on the day after, and I couldn't get the drive to work anymore.

I still have the restore point, but if I try to use it now, I get the error:

System restore:

(yellow !) Changes made to driver(s) E:\ after this point cannot be reversed because the drive was either excluded from System Restore monitoring, or was turned off or removed.

cometflash

cometflash

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts
I guess there is nothing I can do, Hun? :)

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
I/O output errors are a sign of a dying drive.
System Restore will not help you. You need file recovery software which is not guaranteed to bring anything back.

cometflash

cometflash

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts
Is it any free available software? Which one would you recommend?

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,065 posts
If you can't access the drive, you can't run any file recovery software against it, sorry.