Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Broadband connections?

• Please log in to reply

hubba bubba

hubba bubba

• Pip
  • 3 posts
We are complete computer illiterates, so please be gently with us!!! :)

We already have a home computer with orange broadband but our son would like to buy a laptop. He has seen an offer with the carphone warehouse that gives him a free laptop with a subscription with AOL for £19.99 pay as you go . It also has the same free laptop with £30.00 and no talk package.

What does this mean? The site doesn't allow me to ask any questions :)
Is this a good deal?
Also, can we have 2 broadbands from the same BT line?

Please can you reply without too many technical words as they usually go over my head!!!!!!!!!!!

Advertisements

Johanna

Johanna

The Leather Lady

• 3,038 posts
Your son could share your broadband Internet connection at home with an inexpensive device called a "router". I'm suspicious of the free laptop deal, but maybe someone else here is familiar with the particulars and could advise you better.
Johanna

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,841 posts
Hi there, welcome to Geeks to Go!

I'm not too sure on the laptop as part of the subscription, although I'm sure somebody else may be able to comment on these types of deals.

But with the broadband, no you can't run two accounts on the same line. For that you would need a separate line.

However, (and I feel this may be good news for you), if you merely want to have your broadband connected to both computers (your home computer and your son's laptop) then you can share this. To do this, you would need to purchase what's called a router. Here is a link on routers with more reading than even I want :)

Common manufacturer's that sell routers suitable for home use include Netgear, D-Link, Linksys, Belkin, ASUS, and plenty more.

You can purchase a wired router, which connects from the modem and then splits out to each computer via a cable. Or you can purchase a wireless router, which usually works the same as a wired router as well as being able to cater for computers with a wireless card. Your son's laptop will most probably come with a built-in wireless card, as almost all new laptops do these days.

Finally, you can have an all-in-one device that is your modem and a router/wireless router all rolled up into one fancy little device. I have one of these myself (it's a Netgear, and I'm very happy with it), and when my phone wall-plug died in the office, I simply plugged the modem/router into the kitchen phone wall-plug and installed a wireless card into my computer :)

I suggest you call your ISP (broadband provider) and ask them what suggestions for a specific product they have. They may even be able to sell you one, or offer it as part of a deal. If ever you end up having problems with it, you would hate to find out that they won't provide any support for the particular model you purchased! Of course, you're welcome to come back here, we're more than willing to help out.

I hope this is helpful, with not too many "technical" words that weren't fully described!

Cheers

Troy

EDIT: It looks like I posted at the same time as Johanna! It's funny we've pretty much said the same things... :)

Edited by troy, 26 February 2008 - 05:33 PM.

Hawaiantom

Hawaiantom

• PipPip
  • 98 posts
I would go to the store and ask a lot of questions first. What I noticed doing a little research is that there is a contract involved. Second I believe this is wireless broadband through a card. Not hooked by phone or cable lines. I would find out what the exact model number of the computer is and make sure that its 1 a good machine and 2 that your not overpaying for it by signing a long term contract. Hope this helps. TOM

Matt Brownn

Matt Brownn

• PipPip
  • 24 posts
hmm sounds a little shady to me but you don't need two broadband connections you just need a router.

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Administrator
  • 26,046 posts
  • MVP
a free computer? not likely to be a great machine...(you get what you pay for...and if it's free....this rule still applies)...i'd be very wary of the deal...also...AOL (IMO) is the worst ISP on the planet....i cannot stand anything that they do

hubba bubba

hubba bubba

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
Thanks to all of you for all of your useful advice and for not treating us as complete air-heads!!

We have decided not to go for the carphone warehouse offer and purchase a laptop independently.
What do you think of Sky TV with Broadband, would it be worth switching to this for both of us instead of the orange?
Also how do you rate refurbished laptops (our sons savings aren't mega!!)?

Thanks again
:)

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Administrator
  • 26,046 posts
  • MVP

Also how do you rate refurbished laptops (our sons savings aren't mega!!)?

refurbished equipment is only as good as the people who refurbed it...as long as you get your machine from a reputable source (obviously not the carphone shop) that offers a warranty on their refurbed equipment you should be fine

hubba bubba

hubba bubba

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
Thanks dsenette,
there seems so much to consider before he gets started, not only the price but all the hidden extras too!! we just don't want him to be ripped off :)
Any other advice gratefully received :)