Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Files, folders and partitions.

• Please log in to reply

jst42day

jst42day

• PipPipPip
  • 190 posts
Hi, everybody.
I could use a bit of help due to the fact that I've never done these before.
I have 3 partitions.
C is supposed to be for the OS, XP Pro w/SP2. However I also see other files on it, such as Apple Updater etc..
D was to be used for programs such as Avira AV, AVG AS, program files and generally whatever I could put there so as to leave C as close to just the OS as I could.
E was for iTunes and WMP and all the tracks.

Now I'm finding portions of the iTunes, as an example, program on all 3 partitions.
How can I do the following:
1. Resize my partitions without losing any info.
2. Move files and folders to different partitions. ( I'm using NTFS ).

Thanks for any help.
jst42day

Advertisements

hfcg

hfcg

The hippie freak computer geek

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,496 posts
Hello, and welcome to Geeks To Go.
This topic could fill volumes.
Please go here to start.

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,091 posts
hfcg (I finally realised it's not hfcq!), that's a Vista site. Even though all or most of it applies to XP, do you have a similar one for XP?

hfcg

hfcg

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,496 posts
If you look around here you may find something.
Hippie freak computer q?

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP

Hippie freak computer q?

the Q is for queen :)

for resizing your partitions you could investigate the use of Norton's Partition magic (which ain't free) or GParted which is free

i've used GParted numerous times to resize active partitions without any problems...they've got some great documentation and the product runs from CD

for either GParted or Partition magic you've GOT to defrag the drive completely before resizing and you've got to run a CHKDISK on the drive before and after the resize....other than that it's pretty easy to shrink or grow your partitions

moving files and folders (as long as you're not talking about program files or folders) is as easy as dragging them around in explorer....moving programs....well that's better done by uninstalling and reinstalling the program.

also as a note...even if you choose to install a program to a seperate partition....some parts of it will always show up in the system partition (C:\)because they've got to be there to work with windows...

hfcg

hfcg

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,496 posts

the Q is for queen

Time to change my name to HFCG.

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,091 posts