Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Fragmented FIles

• Please log in to reply

sambo135

sambo135

• PipPip
  • 30 posts
I have a Fragmented file problem, i think its causing my computer to reset alot. I try defraging, but after i defraging it, next time i turn on my pc it just come back, i think its starting to get worse-.-
anyone can help me?
-Sam

Advertisements

austin_o

austin_o

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 2,089 posts
curious how you determined the cause of re-booting was fragmented files? Are you running XP? Go to the event log and see if you can get a clue what the cause is.

Post your system specs, including the power supply amps per 12v and 5v rails This should be on a sticker on the outside of the power supply.

Random reboots are usually caused by driver problems, heat or power supply issues. This is the first time I have read "fragmented files" are causing it. :tazz:

sambo135

sambo135

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 30 posts
em... i just got a new PSU 400W todai, first i thought it was that problem, now it shows it isn't, i just got all the new drviers for my hardware.
i have a
P4 2.0GHz
512Ram
Gforce 2 64mb -.-
40gb harddrive
Running XP

I don't think heating is a problem, i mean all aroung my computer and inside isn't even hot.

sambo135

sambo135

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 30 posts
When i went to event viewer the laster error was this:
Unable to read the performance counter strings of the 004 language ID. The Win32 status returned by the call is the first DWORD in Data section.
wat does that mean?

austin_o

austin_o

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 2,089 posts
You can right click on the event select properties, then go to microsoft help center for more info...Mirosoft knowledge base may (I said may, not will) be helpful. :tazz:

sambo135

sambo135

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 30 posts
ok thanks

sambo135

sambo135

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 30 posts
ok i get this error:
Could not contact Filter Driver - NaiFiltr.sys.
Error = NaiFiltr.SYS is missing.
how i get it back? and where i put it if i have it?
Thanks

austin_o

austin_o

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 2,089 posts
Did the knowledge base at microsoft give any clue about fixing it? I am not familiar with what this is, but someone else may be.

I tried a search of this forum for Error = NaiFiltr.SYS is missing and keep getting errors on the search function (using firefox). I did a google search and there are lots of hits. Give that a try. :tazz:

austin_o

austin_o

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 2,089 posts
remember Google is your friend! I found this:
http://www.tek-tips.....cfm?qid=189336

searched for NAIFILTR.SYS on this page. It is all about fixing it. Don't know if it is your fix or not. YOU need to work your way through it. Read it carefully and see if it applies to you. :tazz:

sambo135

sambo135

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 30 posts
Ok thanks. I uninstalled McAfee anti-virus, but some of hte instrutions, i don't understand it lol. Hm my computer seems to be having more and more errors-.-, should i just format it?

austin_o

austin_o

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 2,089 posts
your call. Just be sure to backup your data first. My own experience with that choice is that I have always come though it ok. Format and then re-loading everything is just so time consuming. Good luck! :tazz:

LeeD

LeeD

• Pip
  • 2 posts
Note the date of that post that suggests it's McAfee VirusScan.

If you suspect it's McAfee, then I suggest you try going to McAfee Support forum. It's very very active, and they can be very helpful.

I'm currently having the same problem, but I don't suspect it to be McAfee, but I'm not ruling anything out just yet! Still researching...