Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Unable to print after Windows XP SP2 Home Edition Upgrade

• Please log in to reply

RAMM

RAMM

• Pip
  • 3 posts
Hello,

I'm not a computer tech type person but I recently upgraded from Windows ME to Windows XP Home Edition SP2.
However now I am unable to print anything. When I check the printing que is saying printing but nothing prints out. I have a Lexmark Z53 printer and I've tried everything. I also have received a message about checking the Enabling the Bidirectional (something) box and I was able to do that in one of the printing perferences areas but in the other area it keeps giving me the options of Retrying or Canceling and everything I click Retry is doesn't work.

Please can someone provide me with detailed step by step easy to understand instructions how to correct this problem?
I'm hoping that I do not need to buy another printer now because of the upgrade.

Thanks
RAMM

Advertisements

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,091 posts
Hi Ramm, welcome to G2G.

Download and install the XP driver for the Z53 from here: http://downloads.lex...n...nXP&target=

RAMM

RAMM

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
Hello,

Thanks for replying to my post. However I am still having trouble with printing.

I have downloaded the file many times and chose different ways but I am still getting an error message. It says problem communicating with the printer and I'm still getting the message about checking the Enabling the Bidirectional (something) box. I have removed the Lexmark Z53 program completely from my computer each time before dowloading the CJXP53LE.exe file from the Lexmark website. I have been choosing the Custom Driver for Microsoft Windows XP file CJXP53LE.exe.
Please tell me what I'm doing wrong? Am I'm choosing the wrong file?

I have tried to download the file by just running it and once it opens and that doesn't help. I have tried saving the file to my Lexmark folder. I have also tried saving it to my Add Printer Folder and nothing corrects my printing problem. I don't know if when I'm Unzipping the file thru Win Zip that I'm doing something wrong or is the problem somewhere else.
Am I suppose save the file onto a blank CD? The Lexmark instructions state that The Driver must be installed thru the Add Printer Wizard, however I don't understand how to do this.

I have the file in my Lexmark folder and I have tried Extracting to my Add printer wizard folder, and my Lexmark folder but nothing works. Am I suppose to insert my Lexmark Z53 installation CD before the download? Please provide me with detailed instructions on what I am suppose to do to correct this problem. As I mentioned before I am not a computer technical person so I really need someones help. I called a computer repairs shop and they want to charge me $60.00 to fix this problem and I don't want to pay the money if this is something that I can fix myself.

Please help
RAMM

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
do you still have the manual and driver cd that came with the printer

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,091 posts
I had similar problems with a HP printer. Eventually called HP tech support and got someone who actually knew what they were doing. They ended up having me run a batch command burried in the CD that cam with the printer. This deleted some stuff that a normal uninstall followed by a complete scrubbing of the registry for all things HP, did not find.

After that I was able to install the downloaded driver with no problem. Perhaps it's time to call Lexmark?

The Skeptic

The Skeptic

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 4,075 posts
In your BIOS check that biderectional is enabled. This should be in the part of the BIOS that deals with parallel connections (as far as I remember) and defines how data is transfered between the computer and a device that is connected to the parallel port .

RAMM

RAMM

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
Hi All,
Thanks for replying.

I'm going to answer all your questions.

1. Yes I still have the manual and driver CD that came with the printer.

2. I already spoke to someone at Lexmark via chat and the first time I was told I should call my computer manufacturer. There're not very helpful.

3. What is a BIOS?
I know that in the Printers and Faxes section under Properties on the Ports tabs the box marked Enable Bidirectional support is checked. However when I go to print I get an error message and it basically says I need to check Enable Bidirectional support in order to printer. I get the option to Retry or Cancel. Everytime I click on Retry the error message just keeps coming up, so then I click on Cancel.
One important thing that I should let you know is that: behind the Enable Bidirectional support error message is another window box that shows the printing status. I have the option of selecting different tabs. One of the tabs have a few options about printing listed that you can select. One of the options is about Enable Bidirectional support. When I check the box in this area, I just continue to get the error again mentioning the Enable Birdirectional support. In other words it won't accept me selecting Enable Bidirectional support in this particular area.

Please help, what am I doing wrong?

Please give me instructions on how to correct this problem.

1. I used my old Lexmark Z53 CD and download the printer onto my computer
Then at the Lexmark website:
2a. I choose the Custom download instead of the System download, correct?
2b. Then I download the file from the Lexmark website by selecting Run or Save?
If Save, then where do I save the file to?
3. Then what do I do?

Thanks in advance for your help.

The Skeptic

The Skeptic

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 4,075 posts
BIOS is the most basic program in the computer, the one that loads up before windows. If bideractional is disabled in the BIOS you will not be able to enable it through windows or the printer's program.

Boot the computer and enter the BIOS by repeatedly tapping the DEL or F2 keys. Sometimes it's another key. If you do are not sure, press the PAUSE key as soon as you see the first boot screen. Read and follow the instructions about how to enter SETUP.

While there, navigate among the menus and look for everything that is related to parallel port and enable bidirectional.