Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Office Pro 2003 Outlook "unable to open default email"

• Please log in to reply

brinas30

brinas30

• PipPip
  • 49 posts
After installation, when attempting to open Outlook, I see the Configuring Outlook box begin with the Migrating Account Settings in bold. Then the error states:

"Unable to open your default e-mail folders. The file C:\Documents and Settings\Owner\Local Settings\Application Data\Microsoft\Outlook\Outlook.pst is not compatible with this version of Personal Folders information service. Contact your administrator."

All other office programs open properly.

I am using a personal pc and am not on a network, and am using Win XP SP2

ANY help is appreciated as I've exhausted my web research and Microsoft was no help. :)

I've attached a screen shot.

Bree

Attached Files

Advertisements

sari

sari

GeekU Admin

• Administrator
  • 20,955 posts
  • MVP
brinas30,

What were you using previously as your email program? I assume you had a version of outlook, which is why you have an existing outlook.pst folder?

brinas30

brinas30

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 49 posts
I created a new profile and this resolved the issue. I'm suspicious that the Blackberry software is conflicting with the Office Pro, it's the only similarity between the same error on two totally different pc's, one with XP and a brand new one with Vista.

thank you for your response.