Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

HJT to resolve internet access capability

• Please log in to reply

Don Stewart

Don Stewart

• PipPipPip
  • 239 posts
I'm unable to access the internet on my old Windows '98 Dell laptop and was wondering if I can somehow use another one of my computers to run HJT and determine why I can't access the internet, even using Comcast high speed internet. Comcast internet provider will not support Windows '98, although they thought I was missing a Microsoft driver inorder to access the internet.
Is it possible to download HJT onto a disc and then load it onto my old laptop to run a HJT to resolve the internet problem.....Thx

Advertisements

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
How is your Win98 machine connected to the Internet? Is it a USB modem or are you going through a router and some network cable? Or are you wireless?

Windows 98 will connect to a wired router out of the box, providing the correct network adaptor is installed. Wireless it'll need third-party software. USB modems these days tend to have next to no 98/Millennium support attached to them.

Edited by Neil Jones, 27 February 2008 - 03:31 PM.

pip22

pip22

Trusted Tech

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,663 posts
To answer your HJT question, yes. You can download it on to a PC which has internet-access, copy it across to the PC which has no internet-access, then run it to produce a log file specific to that PC. Now copy that log file on to a PC with internet-access and post it on the Geeks2Go forum here:
http://www.geekstogo...o-Here-f37.html

It may not be a malware problem of course, but it's always a good place to start. And if you get a clean bill of health from the HJT team you can then proceed to troubleshoot the problem in some other way.

Oops! Sorry, I just checked and HJT is not compatible with Windows 98, only Win2K or later. In any event, if comcast is right and are you are missing a driver, I doubt if HJT would be any help with that.

Edited by pip22, 27 February 2008 - 04:03 PM.

Don Stewart

Don Stewart

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 239 posts
I was unaware that HJT was only for malware problems, thought it might acknowledge if I was missing software to connect to the internet. Comcast suggested I might be missing 575BTA00.EXE driver, but I had problems trying to load it. To answer Neils question, I have tried all three methods....hard wire USB, via a router and also using a wireless card..........with no luck. Any suggestions on what I can do next. Thanks

Don Stewart

Don Stewart

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 239 posts
pip22,

Sorry taking so long to post HJT, but downloaded and ran it on the non-internet PC but unable to copy back to CD to upload to your site. Hope to get some help tomorrow. Getting error CD full, when it isn't!

pip22

pip22

Trusted Tech

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,663 posts
Hi Don

The HJT logfile size can't be very large so put it on a flash thumb-drive or even a camera memory card if you have a card reader/writer, in order to get it across to the PC which has internet-access. You didn't mention floppy-disk so presume one or both PCs doesn't have floppy-drive?
Important: Don't post your log in this thread! It must posted here, and here only: http://www.geekstogo...o-Here-f37.html

As to your 'cd full' with a blank cd. This is not uncommon and it's usually fixed by using a different brand of disc and/or different burning software. Try changing disc brand first (a quality brand, not cheapo bulk-paks) 'cos decent burning software costs money and there may be nothing wrong with the one you're currently using.

Don Stewart

Don Stewart

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 239 posts
Tried 4 or 5 different CD's.....all failed, but was able to copy to floppy. Going to take lap top to work and hope someone can either read the floppy or can download the HJT to a stick.

Don Stewart

Don Stewart

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 239 posts
pip22,

Stick didn't work, would not recognize it, but the computer expert is in tomorrow and he will have a way to copy the HJT to something inorder to upload it to you.......until tomorrow.

Don Stewart

Don Stewart

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 239 posts
pip22,

This item can be closed, as I have installed the the correct drviers and now able to connect via wireless...................thx for your help.