Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

.OST FILE

• Please log in to reply

quanmay35

quanmay35

• PipPip
  • 60 posts
CAN YOU HAVE YOUR .OST FILE FOLLOW YOU OR POINT TO YOUR PROFILE OFF THE SERVER?

THANKS

Advertisements

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
first don't talk in all caps...it's annoying

second....we'll need some more info about what you're wanting to do....also what's the setup that you're using?

quanmay35

quanmay35

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 60 posts
Sorry about that, basically trying figure out a way for the Email OST file to be added to a user's profiles when they log into the computer. When u log in your profile is pointing to your H:drive which is coming from the server allowing OST file connect when logging into another computer. Also trying to figure out how to delete massive profiles from these computers and somehow create a script so when they log off the profile automatic deletes.

AD envior.
XP

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
AHA! well....for that you'd need to research roaming profiles (the easiest free method) depending on your amount of users and how much they're keeping in the profile...this could cause some huge storage issues on your server (whichever server is housing the profiles) with a full roaming profile they can log on to any desktop in the place and it will be the same as their normal computer

what i use here at work is a product by scriptlogic called desktop authority...it's basically a scripting engine that builds logon scripts for you that control everything about a user (everything from printer/drive mapping to registry modifications)....it's got a section for outlook configuration that allows me to automatically configure outlook when they log on to connect to our exchange server, create a PST for them in their user's drive (h drive for you), and map said PST to their outlook settings....so anywhere they log on...their email is set up to connect back to that PST i believe it has the same settings for OST as well

quanmay35

quanmay35

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 60 posts
Wow, thanks for the information very helpful.
I also suggested roaming profiles but company doesn't want to do it.
I tried a program where it suppose to delete profiles but didn't work.

Thank you very much

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
pfftt...roaming profiles would be the EASIEST method (and free) but they've got their reasons

MikeSkinner

MikeSkinner

• Pip
  • 1 posts
Roaming profiles is not the perfect way to go.
Our company got rid of roaming profiles some years ago. It only caused headaches for us.
Now we use the same tool as dsenette suggested - desktop authority.
It's really useful in big enterprise environments especially when you have a lot of users that travel across different pcs.
All their settings including drive and printer mappings, e-mail, internet proxy settings, registry tweaks, desktop shortcuts and etc willl follow the user to every pc.
I'm sure this can solve your task with OST files.

You may want to take a look at desktop authority product page:
http://www.scriptlog...esktopauthority

If you have any questions about this tool - feel free to ask...

Mike

Edited by MikeSkinner, 21 March 2008 - 09:10 AM.