Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Windows Boot Up Problem

• Please log in to reply

mhilliard_13

mhilliard_13

• PipPip
  • 29 posts
i have a compaq computer
and when i turn it on, it won't go past the compaq screen
what do i do? i have windows 98, btw

Advertisements

pip22

pip22

Trusted Tech

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,663 posts
Welcome to the forum, mhilliard 13

Mmm - quite some time since I used to 98, but If you hold down 'F8' as soon as you turn on the PC you should get the option to "Start Windows in Safe Mode" -- highlight that option and press 'Enter'.

Safe-mode Windows will look very weird, big icons etc., but that's normal because your graphics card can't work properly in safe mode. Many other devices won't work in safe-mode either but that's normal too. It's just a mode which allows you to get into Windows to remove any drivers or software which you recently installed when the problem began because very probably it is the cause of it.

If you can't think of any recently-installed software which could have caused it, it may be faulty hardware and you''ll need to take the PC into a repair shop if you aren't knowledgeable enough to tackle it yourself. Don't go blindly poking around inside the system box -- not only is this potentially dangerous to you but you could do more harm than good.

Edited by pip22, 27 February 2008 - 05:39 AM.

mhilliard_13

mhilliard_13

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts

Welcome to the forum, mhilliard 13

Mmm - quite some time since I used to 98, but If you hold down 'F8' as soon as you turn on the PC you should get the option to "Start Windows in Safe Mode" -- highlight that option and press 'Enter'.

Safe-mode Windows will look very weird, big icons etc., but that's normal because your graphics card can't work properly in safe mode. Many other devices won't work in safe-mode either but that's normal too. It's just a mode which allows you to get into Windows to remove any drivers or software which you recently installed when the problem began because very probably it is the cause of it.

If you can't think of any recently-installed software which could have caused it, it may be faulty hardware and you''ll need to take the PC into a repair shop if you aren't knowledgeable enough to tackle it yourself. Don't go blindly poking around inside the system box -- not only is this potentially dangerous to you but you could do more harm than good.

Hmm, thanks! I'll give that a try tomorrow.
I'll be sure to post back w/ update. I hope you reply back when i do. :)

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
If it won't go past the Compaq screen, you have more serious issues, most likely a hard drive failure.

mhilliard_13

mhilliard_13

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts

If it won't go past the Compaq screen, you have more serious issues, most likely a hard drive failure.

any way to check that? :)

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
Take the side off the case, unplug the hard drive (obviously with the computer not switched on) and if it goes straight through quickly, hard drive is the problem.

stupidhomer

stupidhomer

• PipPipPip
  • 127 posts
It could also be because the memory isn't correct, it happened to me when the memory(RAM) was messed up.