Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

How do you password protect some folders

• Please log in to reply

hidyjane

hidyjane

• PipPip
  • 42 posts
Hi

Does anyone know how to password protect folders on Windows XP?

At the moment I keep all my files on a second hard drive installed on my main computer and anyone on my computer or network can access these files, which is fine for most of them.

I would like to be able to make a few files password protected so only I and another person can access those certain folders, but I do want to make all the folders password protected as they are used regulary by others.

Any ideas on how this can be achieved?

Thanks Hidyjane :)

Advertisements

pip22

pip22

Trusted Tech

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,663 posts
Without using any additional software you can assign a password to each file within an XP 'zip folder'. Although the zip-folder can still be opened, any file within it will generate a password-prompt if one has been assigned to it.

1. Create a new zip-folder (Right-click on desktop or in a window->New->Compressed (zipped) folder.
2. Open the zip folder and drag or copy/paste your files into it.
3. Right-click empty area in the zip-folder windows and choose "Add a password"

The password is now applied to all the files within that zip-folder, but it only applies to those files which are present at the time you create the password.
If you add any new files to that zip-folder, they are not automatically protected and anyone can open them.
Therefore, you will have to 'remove' the existing password (right-click) and perform "add a password" again.
Once again, all files in that folder will be protected, both old ones and new ones.
That's a very annoying shortcoming of using the built-in method. You should be able to simply put new files in there
without going through the password creation again, but alas it doesn't work like that.

Alternative is to use a third-party utility. Only free one I could find in a hurry is here: http://www.canadianc...de_Folders.html

If you're willing to pay for a shareware solution there are many to choose from. Just type password protect files or folders into a Google search box.

Edited by pip22, 27 February 2008 - 04:06 AM.

hidyjane

hidyjane

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 42 posts
Thanks for the response

Unfortunately zip file are out of the question. I need to constantly view/change the files. I'll try a goggle search unless they're any other ideas?

Thanks
Hidyjane :)

Will_00

Will_00

• PipPipPip
  • 226 posts
Yes there a numerous different ways. I address these Site name removed.

hidyjane

hidyjane

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 42 posts
Hey Will! That looks really good! I haven't tested it yet, I will let you know how I get on with it!

Thanks! :)

Will_00

Will_00

• PipPipPip
  • 226 posts
No Problem.

hfcg

hfcg

The hippie freak computer geek

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,496 posts
Hello,
May I suggest that you look at this as well.

hidyjane

hidyjane

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 42 posts
Hi Hfcg

I was just looking into this, looks like the perfect solution. Great idea as the permissions will be based on certain computer user logins. I have not used this feature yet so am a bit dubious as to whether it will work with users from different computers. Although I think I can create users on the "store" computer which match their logins on their networked computers? Just a thought. Definitely worth trying out though, what do you think?

Heidi

hidyjane

hidyjane

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 42 posts
Will
I'm afraid it did not work. I think I followed your instructions. I created the folders and files, but when I clicked on the "loc.bat" file all it did was rename the file I called test. I could still access the folder and the test file. Might have something to do with Vista? I will test it on an XP comp and let you know the outcome.
Maybe I missed something?
:)

hfcg

hfcg

The hippie freak computer geek

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,496 posts
This would be a secure, yet simple solution.
You can search Microsft self help for articles like this one .

hidyjane

hidyjane

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 42 posts

This would be a secure, yet simple solution.

Certainly would be, and a secure and simple solution is exellent! Thanks hfcgexcellent. I will test this tomorrow on my computers and see what happens! :)