Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Applications in Windows XP running slow

• Please log in to reply

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts

I have not received a response. Is someone still helping me? Sorry to be a bother.

I'm sorry but today is the first time I got notified that you had responded...
did you do everything I asked you to do in my last post....

Advertisements

arabcamel

arabcamel

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 84 posts
Last night, firefox was using 50% of my CPU and not really working. This afternoon, I took out one of my 2 GB memory sticks and firefox and the rest of my windows applications seem to be working at capacity. I have yet to test out the rest of my windows applications, so don't close this forum just yet so that I can make sure everything is working.

thanks!

arabcamel

arabcamel

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 84 posts
also, since I already bought the 2nd 2 GB memory stick. Is there any way I can use it but limit it's capacity so I can have my computer running at 3 GB instead of 4 GB so I don't run into the problem.

The reason I ask is because I'm trying to figure out what to do with this 2 GB memory stick I have laying around now. :-)

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,091 posts
There are boot.ini options you can use but they cause as many problems as they fix.

/3GB and /USERVA

A Google search will give you lots of info on them.

My recommendation, keep the 2nd 2GB stick as a spare or trade a friend for a 1GB stick. XP handle 3GB just fine.

I don't have a computer that will take a 2GB stick or I'd ask you to send it to me :)

arabcamel

arabcamel

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 84 posts
thank you very much for your help! I think I might trade it for a 1GB stick with my cousin. Either that or keep it as a spare. thank you!