Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

CS3 update reminder after unistalling

• Please log in to reply

geogy

geogy

• Pip
  • 2 posts
I had a trial version of a CS3 installed in my system, after installation i found that the language was different (think its dutch) and it gave me an update pop-up. so i uninstalled CS3 , but the reminder keeps coming every time i boot my machine. Please help me remove this.

Advertisements

pip22

pip22

Trusted Tech

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,663 posts
Hi geogy & welcome to Geeks2Go!

The update reminder file is most likely being called from the Windows Registry but I don't recommend you go poking around in there as you could end up with more than just a reminder to worry about!

First of all have a look in your Startup folder: Start->All Programs->Startup
This is where 'non-registry' startup items are called from -- if it's in there, simple. Just delete it if you're sure that's the one (right-click->delete)
if you're not 100% sure, just cut/paste it onto the Desktop so you can put it back if it's not the right one.

If it's not in there, it will be in the Registry so you need a utility which lists all such entries and allows you to disable or delete each one.
Download 'Startup Control Panel' from here: http://www.mlin.net/StartupCPL.shtml

Install it and open it. Check under every tab carefully for an entry which is the most likely candidate (sometimes called 'reminder.exe' but since I don't have CS3 I can't be sure. Before deleting anything in here, just disable the one you think it is (highlight->right-click->disable). Reboot and see if the reminder prompt still pops up. if it does, go back into 'startup control panel' and re-enable the one you disabled. Then disable another one which looks like it might be the one, rebooting each time. Eventually you will hit the jackpot (hopefully first time) and you can go into 'Startup Control Panel' and delete that entry instead of just disabling it. I must stress, use the 'disable' option first. Don't delete until you're sure that's the one. Actually, just leaving it 'disabled' will be sufficient to stop it from executing so if you feel more comfortable leaving it at that, by all means do so, but any entry you delete will be placed under the 'Deleted' tab so you can still restore it if you need to (as long as you can get into Windows, of course)

Edited by pip22, 27 February 2008 - 04:37 PM.

geogy

geogy

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
Hi PIP22,
The startup in 'All programs' was empty so I tried your second suggestion and it WORKED !! Thanks a TON :)

Edited by geogy, 27 February 2008 - 07:55 PM.