Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

battlefield 2 won't work on vista

• Please log in to reply

trnstar

trnstar

• PipPipPip
  • 100 posts
Two of my friends have laptops running vista, one of them bought their laptop a while ago and the other one just recently bought theirs. The one that bought there laptop when vista first came out can't get it to work, the other one has it working just fine. I'm wondering if maybe since service pack 1 just came out for vista if the newer one came with service pack 1 and the older one didn't? if so then where could he download sp1? also the one with the older laptop has his harddrive almost maxed out (but enough room for battlefield 2) and I'm wondering if that might be a problem? I hope someone could make sense out of all of what I just said :)

Advertisements

trnstar

trnstar

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 100 posts

sandman01086

sandman01086

• PipPipPip
  • 103 posts
i thought sp1 came through windows update

has he tried reinstalling the game?

trnstar

trnstar

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 100 posts
He has tried reinstalling it several times! I don't really know about vista sp1, I keep hearing about it but I've looked arround and I can't figure out where you get it.

sandman01086

sandman01086

• PipPipPip
  • 103 posts
checked that it meets system requirements and that everything in the laptop is compatible with the game?

trnstar

trnstar

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 100 posts
its not a junker laptop, so I'm fairly certain its compatible but I geuss it wouldn't hurt to check. His laptop is a toshiba that he bought for $1000 his brother who bought his for $550 play battlefield perfectly fine.

sandman01086

sandman01086

• PipPipPip
  • 103 posts
what exactly happens when he tries to run it?

trnstar

trnstar

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 100 posts
when you put in the cd it brings up the box that has different options like "play online now" and "start bf2", when you click start bf2 it does its normal thing and then the blackscreen, but instead of going to the game screen it just exits.

sandman01086

sandman01086

• PipPipPip
  • 103 posts
are all of his drivers up to date?

trnstar

trnstar

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 100 posts
not sure, he told me he downloaded some updates recently but I think they were windows updates.

sandman01086

sandman01086

• PipPipPip
  • 103 posts
go to his graphics card website and download the newest drivers and go to his laptop manufacturer's website and download all th drivers listed under his model

FireFreak3551

FireFreak3551

• Pip
  • 1 posts
I found this off another website but i haven't tried it yet. The solution is simple enough: right-click the BF2 icon, choose Properties, and then in the Compatibility tab check the box that says "Run this program as an administrator." After doing this, we encountered no problems joining any server.