Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

IE "cannot display page", but AOL Browser / AOL work fine

• Please log in to reply

heathermb769

heathermb769

• PipPipPip
  • 107 posts
I am totally at a loss...

When I open up IE (version 7, I'm running Windows xp, sp2), I get the "Cannot display page." Troubleshooting tells me I have no internet connection, it can't ping.

BUT!!! AOL browser works. AOL itself works, I can log on and connect and surf through those, but I hate it, I prefer IE for surfing, and the problem is making me crazy!

I'm at another computer right now, connected through IE, same network (I'm on a wireless laptop, the PC that's having the problem is wired to the router), and having no issues here.

Can someone help me figure out what happened?

I tried a system restore to the middle of January, as this is a recent (say 2 or 3 week) problem, but I still can't use IE.

Thanks!

Advertisements

pip22

pip22

Trusted Tech

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,663 posts
Just a hunch since it happened to me once:

Check 'LAN settings' in IE7->Tools->Internet Options->Connections->LAN Settings (button).
All three options here should normally be unticked, so untick any that aren't and click 'OK' to save changes.
I never did figure out how they got changed on my PC and I'm the only one who can log in to it!
(and no, it wasn't malware. I'm very, very vigilant where that's concerned).

Edited by pip22, 28 February 2008 - 05:42 AM.

WOL2

WOL2

• Pip
  • 3 posts
I have a similar situation except i can only access Intenet Explorer or AOL via "Safe Mode". I contacted my internet carrier and they walked me through the same steps per advice from pip22 and did other stuff (turning off modem, resetting it, checking the internet connections, etc.)

They basically gave up and told me it was something in the computer and I needed to take it in. I don't want to have to take the machine in though if I can avoid it. It will be a hassle for me to figure out how to plug it all back in again!

Any advice on what else I might try from home before I take it in?

fr33zypop

fr33zypop

• PipPip
  • 25 posts
I am an Internet Tech for a Major ISP, I see a lot different things that cause these types of problems. One thing I see is if a customer is able to get online in safe mode and not in normal mode its a firewall/anti-virus program. I know it’s not safe to disable it but you can try that to see if that corrects the issues. Other things to look at if you’re not on the AOL dialer and IE is using one Internet connection like a high-speed connection is to go into IE Internet Options. Start>Control panel>Internet Options. Then go to the Security (Internet, Local Intranet, Trusted Sites, Restricted Site), Privacy and Advanced Tabs and default all of them. Other then that try a different website other then your homepage.