Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Copy file : Acess Denied

• Please log in to reply

Kert_23

Kert_23

• Pip
  • 4 posts
[bleep] this is my first post here and i would like to know if someoen can help me, i have a file named Age.dll which is for a game i downloaded. the exe calls age.dll but doesnt works, i used filemon and i went to see and i get access denied. Also when i try to COPY and paste it gives me the message "Cannot copy age: acess denied" the weird thing is i can cut it and paste it, or delete or rename it.. i was reading other articles where people cant cut or delete. I need help to know why its giving me these access denied. Also i put scan with norton and it says "Unable to open the file, you dont have the permission to open the file" I would take any suggestions thanks a lot

by the way i did all the security tabs, the ownership, and tried from admin but nothing :)

Advertisements

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,091 posts
If you can delete it or cut and paste then do that.

Cut it then paste to another folder. Try renaming it there.

You said you tried admin, does that mean you tried doing this by booting to Safe Mode?

What exactly are you trying to accomplish?

Kert_23

Kert_23

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
hey Ztruker, yes i tried in safe mode and administrator, even in safe mode i cannot copy the file or make the age2_x1.exe to run. my goal is that age2_x1.exe to run the age.dll i dont know why even the antivirus has not permission to it, i send the same files to my roomate's computer and it works perfectly there i can copy and paste the file, and the exe runs the dll.

In my computer i can cut and paste, rename the age.dll file, but i cannot copy and when i check with the filemon, the exe calls the dll but it gets access denied. i would like to know what could be blocking or the .dll file thanks for your time

hfcg

hfcg

The hippie freak computer geek

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,496 posts
sorry, wrong post

Edited by hfcg, 27 February 2008 - 09:19 PM.

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,091 posts
Why is it necessary to copy age.dll? Are you trying to do that as a test to see why the .exe can't open age.dll?

What happens if you right click on it and select Send to and choose your CD burner as the target? You don't have to actually burn it, just send it there as a test. Delete it from there if it works.

Jotti.org is a free web site where you can upload a single file and have it scanned by multiple anti-virus software programs then get a report of what, if anything, was found.

This is a very busy site so it may take a bit before you can upload your file.

http://virusscan.jotti.org/

See if you can upload both the dll and the exe and check them out.

sari

sari

GeekU Admin

• Community Leader
  • 21,806 posts
  • MVP
Kert_23,

Where did you download the game from? I believe the files you're referencing are for Age of Empires, which is not available as a free download. If you downloaded this game illegally, and you're using a cracked version, we will provide no more help for you. From our Terms of Use:

The posting of links or references to warez or any other type of illegal software is strictly forbidden. By doing so you risk having your user account terminated without warning. We will NOT help anyone we suspect of having obtained their software illegally.

Kert_23

Kert_23

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
Hello ztruker, yes im trying to figure out why the exe doesnt runs the dll. I just tried what you suggested, to send the file to burning cd but i got this message "File not found or no read permission" the file is there so i guess is no the read permission but its weird because it works on my roomates computer, i also sent the 2 files to be checked maybe they can help. Ah and by the way if i change the name of the file i get the same error, but if i remove the dll extension or change it to txt or jpeg i can copy it or send it to cd

To sari: Sari im sorry i think i didnt make myself clear, the game i have i have the cd, what i download is an application like a patch so it enables me to use a better version of the map almost everyone has that, since it doesnt works for me its a big disadvantage, but the game cds i have it and i need them each time i want to play, age.dll is the program i downloaded to have a better view of the map

Edited by Kert_23, 29 February 2008 - 12:34 PM.

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,091 posts
Okay, one more thing to try if you have not already done this. Take Ownership of the file/files.

Kert_23

Kert_23

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
yeah i tried the take ownershipe of the file and the whole folder but same result.. its really weird i guess ill have to restart windows from 0 :S

Thnx a lot for your time ztruker i really appreciate your help :)

Edited by Kert_23, 29 February 2008 - 05:35 PM.