Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

2 Operating Systems-Many Accounts-Multilpe"sets" of Programs

• Please log in to reply

at_wits_end

at_wits_end

• PipPip
  • 20 posts
Bought a new MONSTER computer, Dell XPS720. Backed up my files from old computer. Found that I needed a file from that back up. Tried to just browse the disk to find my file, but my options were partial restore or complete restore. Wasn't finding the file that I needed when I chose partial so I did a complete. BAD MOVE! I now have two operating systems, multile admin accounts and inside those admin accounts are some of my files from my old computer and beyond, program files, desktop file etc.
My computer is only 6 weeks old and I do have anything of importance on it, is there a way to put it back to the way it was when I received it?

Edited by at_wits_end, 27 February 2008 - 01:46 PM.

Advertisements

pip22

pip22

Trusted Tech

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,663 posts
Use the Recovery process which is usually supplied with all new PCs. That will either be a Recovery CD which you boot the PC with, or look for a 'System Recovery' item or a similar name in Start-> All Programs. Don't confuse it with Windows built-in 'System Restore' function -- that's not the same thing and it won't return your PC to it's "as new" factory configuration in your particular circumstances. Only the 'Recovery' process can do that.

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,091 posts
What is the make/model of the computer? Did it come with a restore CD or is there a hidden restore partition on hard drive?

The simplest solution would be to restore it to it new state and start over.

You say you backed up your files. How did you back them up? If you used Windows Backup then I don't believe you can select individual files. You should have used a program like Acronis True Image, Norton Ghost or a free program like DriveImage XML to do the backup with. They allow you to select a single file or folder as needed to restore.

If you bought a new computer, didn't it come with it's own hard drive? Are you using the hard drive from your old computer in the new one?

at_wits_end

at_wits_end

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts

Use the Recovery process which is usually supplied with all new PCs. That will either be a Recovery CD which you boot the PC with, or look for a 'System Recovery' item or a similar name in Start-> All Programs. Don't confuse it with Windows built-in 'System Restore' function -- that's not the same thing and it won't return your PC to it's "as new" factory configuration in your particular circumstances. Only the 'Recovery' process can do that.

Thank you for the quick response.
I have a Dell XPS 720 with XP media (and XP home, which I don't want)
After I realized that I did a total restore and my files from the backup disks now appeared on my new computer, I used the CD's that came with the system to re-install, hense the (2) OS.
What is odd, is when I slect my C drive, it has, among other things, Documents and Setting folder, a program folder. When I select Documents and Setting folder I have several Amin Accounts all with different info inside. Favorites, desktop, My documents, Start Menu.

I am at a loss at this point. I guess I need to uninstall XP but don'e know how to do it AND will it take all that "stuff" with it?

at_wits_end

at_wits_end

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts

What is the make/model of the computer? Did it come with a restore CD or is there a hidden restore partition on hard drive?

The simplest solution would be to restore it to it new state and start over.

You say you backed up your files. How did you back them up? If you used Windows Backup then I don't believe you can select individual files. You should have used a program like Acronis True Image, Norton Ghost or a free program like DriveImage XML to do the backup with. They allow you to select a single file or folder as needed to restore.

If you bought a new computer, didn't it come with it's own hard drive? Are you using the hard drive from your old computer in the new one?

Dell XPS 720 with XP media. I did use the restore disk and as far as a "hidden restore partition", I'm clueless.

I used Veritas Simple Backup that came with my external DVD drive.

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,091 posts
Sorry, I guess I wasn't very clear.

I meant do a destructive restore so you computer is like it was when you bought it.

When you boot the CD, there should be some choices you can make. The default will probably be a restore without format which will leave everything on the hard drive. There should be an alternative to do a destructive restore. You may have to click on an Advanced button to see it.

I looked at the Users Manual for the XPS 720, and it says:

Windows XP: Dell PC Restore

Using PC Restore:

1. Turn on the computer.

During the boot process, a blue bar with www.dell.com appears at the top of the screen.

2. Immediately upon seeing the blue bar, press <Ctrl><F11>.

If you do not press <Ctrl><F11> in time, let the computer finish starting, and then restart the computer again.
NOTICE: If you do not want to proceed with PC Restore, click Reboot.

3. Click Restore and click Confirm.

The restore process takes approximately 6 to 10 minutes to complete.

4. When prompted, click Finish to reboot the computer.

NOTE: Do not manually shut down the computer. Click Finish and let the computer completely reboot.

5. When prompted, click Yes.

The computer restarts. Because the computer is restored to its original operating state, the screens that appear, such as the End User License Agreement, are the same ones that appeared the first time the computer was turned on.

6. Click Next.

The System Restore screen appears and the computer restarts.

7. After the computer restarts, click OK.

at_wits_end

at_wits_end

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts
Well let's just give that a try. One question though, since you mentioned the Owners Manual, I decided to get it out.
At the bottom of the page that you quoted, it says,

- Removing PC Restore:
NOTICE: Removing Dell PC Restore from the hard drive permanently deletes the PC Restore utility from your computer. After you have removed Dell PC Restore, you will not be able to use it to restore your computer operating system.

Is this a one time event? Use this proceedure once and it's gone. Or was this statement a word of caution?

pip22

pip22

Trusted Tech

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,663 posts
Using the Dell PC Restore to restore your PC will not remove the PC Restore utility -- you can use it more than once.
But you also have the option to remove it and all it's backup restore files to make more room on the hard disk.
If you do that, PC Restore is gone permanently so you can't use it again on that PC. Not recommended unless you have put in place your own restore method, such as a disk-image (clone) using eg Norton Ghost.

Edited by pip22, 27 February 2008 - 05:10 PM.

at_wits_end

at_wits_end

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts
Ok, tried the <Ctl> <F11> several times, the first time I got this error message. Tried several more times and it just booted normally. I tried, ctl the F11, I tried holding the two down at the same time, I tried tapping them. Nothing brought me to an option to Restore.

HPIM0830.jpg

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,091 posts
Sounds like the HD is munged a bit. Download either of these and create a bootable CD from the .iso file

XP Recovery Console
Another XP Recovery Console

You don't burn the iso file itself to CD., you create a CD from the iso file using your CD burning software. There is a good freeware burner called DeepBurner which will do this.

Boot the CD and at the first opportunity, enter R to start the Recovery Console.
Next, choose which XP installation you want to login to. Normally this will be 1.
Lastly you will be asked for the Administrator password. Just press the Enter key as the Administrator does not have a password (unless you gave it one, then you would enter it).

From the command prompt, enter:

chkdsk c: /r

Let it complete undisturbed. The try Ctrl+F11 again.

Advertisements

at_wits_end

at_wits_end

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts

Sounds like the HD is munged a bit. Download either of these and create a bootable CD from the .iso file

XP Recovery Console
Another XP Recovery Console

You don't burn the iso file itself to CD., you create a CD from the iso file using your CD burning software. There is a good freeware burner called DeepBurner which will do this.

Boot the CD and at the first opportunity, enter R to start the Recovery Console.
Next, choose which XP installation you want to login to. Normally this will be 1.
Lastly you will be asked for the Administrator password. Just press the Enter key as the Administrator does not have a password (unless you gave it one, then you would enter it).

From the command prompt, enter:

chkdsk c: /r

Let it complete undisturbed. The try Ctrl+F11 again.

Okay, call me stupid, but I have no idea how to "create a CD from the iso file"
What and where is the iso file?

Edited by at_wits_end, 27 February 2008 - 06:12 PM.

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,091 posts
Sorry, I thought since you were running Knoppix that you had downloaded it's iso file and used that to create a bootable CD that you then used to install it with.

An iso file is an image of a CD disc, normally a bootable CD. Either of the links I gave you points to an iso file of the XP Recovery Console. You download it and save it to your hard drive. Then you start your CD burning software (Nero, Roxio, etc.) and chose the option create (or burn) a CD from a Disc image file.

If you don't have a CD burner then all this is moot. If you do, it must have come with some burner software. You can also use the DeepBurner program I also provided a link to.

More info:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ISO_image
http://www.petri.co....files_to_cd.htm

Hope that helps. If not, post specific questions and I'll try to answer them. This is not difficult to do. You just need to go through it once to see the process.

at_wits_end

at_wits_end

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts

Sorry, I thought since you were running Knoppix that you had downloaded it's iso file and used that to create a bootable CD that you then used to install it with.

An iso file is an image of a CD disc, normally a bootable CD. Either of the links I gave you points to an iso file of the XP Recovery Console. You download it and save it to your hard drive. Then you start your CD burning software (Nero, Roxio, etc.) and chose the option create (or burn) a CD from a Disc image file.

If you don't have a CD burner then all this is moot. If you do, it must have come with some burner software. You can also use the DeepBurner program I also provided a link to.

More info:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ISO_image
http://www.petri.co....files_to_cd.htm

Hope that helps. If not, post specific questions and I'll try to answer them. This is not difficult to do. You just need to go through it once to see the process.

Used the Roxio and Deepburner links you provided, must be doing something wrong I got this error message 4 times.

Running Knoppix? Again, no clue.

Boy, I feel sooo stupid!

Attached Thumbnails

• Error_withDeepBurner.jpg

Edited by at_wits_end, 27 February 2008 - 07:06 PM.

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,091 posts
Crud, again, my fault. I forgot you only have Knoppix. I've not used any flavor of Linux for almost 5 years now so have forgotten almost everything I knew. I'm sure there are good, free burner programs available for that will work with Knoppix.

Can you get a friend to download and burn it for you?

at_wits_end

at_wits_end

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts

Crud, again, my fault. I forgot you only have Knoppix. I've not used any flavor of Linux for almost 5 years now so have forgotten almost everything I knew. I'm sure there are good, free burner programs available for that will work with Knoppix.

Can you get a friend to download and burn it for you?

You keep saying Knoppix, what is Knoppix? I have never hear of it.
Are we still talking about the same issue of trying to get my 6 week old computer running XP media back to the original factory state after accidently using my old computers back up disk and now have 2 OS?

Edited by at_wits_end, 27 February 2008 - 09:39 PM.