Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

New Case

• Please log in to reply

Rocknrollcows

Rocknrollcows

• PipPipPip
  • 432 posts
I want to get a new Case to house my stuff.

This is mainly just so i can get a MOBO that can support new processors and maybe SLI

I want a case that is absolutely the CHEAPEST yet it doesn't sacrifice structure.

I don't really care about looks, because this will go under my desk, but i don't want anything butt ugly (you know what I mean)

Hoping this will be able to fit a 780i or 680i.

thanks in advance!

http://www.newegg.co...N82E16811147089
this any good?

thinking about this mobo http://www.newegg.co...N82E16813131142

Edited by Rocknrollcows, 27 February 2008 - 03:52 PM.

Advertisements

stettybet0

stettybet0

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 2,579 posts
Getting a case is pretty much a matter of personal opinion. However, this case does have an odd layout which could give you problems. I would suggest looking at a case with a more standard layout just to avoid any potential complications.

As for the motherboard, what is your budget for it?

Rocknrollcows

Rocknrollcows

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 432 posts
below $100 XD

i've decided against a SLI mobo. because i've heard they arn't as fast as a p35

and since i won't be getting a new card anytimes soon, i might as well go with the faster mobo.

i'm trying to pick between

http://www.newegg.co...N82E16813128059

and

http://www.newegg.co...N82E16813128084

thanks

EDIT:

lol.. cant get a CPU till i get a MOBO, cant get a MOBO till i get a case, cant get a case till i the money XD

my DELL 9100 case is strange... opening is on the RIGHT side of the case.. instead of the normal LEFT side.

~~~~~~~~~~

off topic:

anyone know a quick way to make some cash?

im 14.

Edited by Rocknrollcows, 27 February 2008 - 05:49 PM.

stettybet0

stettybet0

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 2,579 posts
Unless you will be overclocking, your motherboard doesn't directly affect your computer's speed too much. If you will be overclocking, the 680i and 780i are some of the best overclocking motherboards available.

I would definitely recommend a 680i or 780i if you plan on using SLI. If not, I would go with the first board you mentioned, as it is one of the best P35 motherboards.

Rocknrollcows

Rocknrollcows

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 432 posts
I do plan to overclock (alot) but i just don't have the money for adequate cooling.

the 680i and 780i are just out of my budget :)

i'm prolly gonna end up getting a P35 because think of it this way.

I won't get enough money for another 8800gt 512mb for at least 1 year. by then, there will be cards way better.

thanks for quick response :)

and any idea on how to make money ? :)

oh, and the p35 will be able to support 800mhz FSB right?
~~~~~~~

EDIT:

trying to upgrade sometime in the next few months because i dont want to let my 8800gt go to waste due to HUGE bottlenecking. I mean HUGE..

Edited by Rocknrollcows, 27 February 2008 - 06:01 PM.

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,841 posts
Hi there,

If you want to make some money, get yourself a job :)

And yes, the P35-DS3L will support an LGA775 socket processor with an 800MHz FSB. (I used to have that exact processor, the P4 630! :))

Cheers

Troy

Rocknrollcows

Rocknrollcows

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 432 posts
I know that.
I need to get a job, but is there any jobs i CAN get?

I don't know about California but here in Virginia, its EXTREMELY hard for ANYONE to find a job. no matter your age..

i'll go see if my local Safeway is hireing O.o

thanks

stettybet0

stettybet0

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 2,579 posts
What makes you mention California? Troy is from Australia. :)

I also am a teen living in Virginia. Unfortunately, almost no one will hire a 14 year old. I'm 16 and that's the age around here (Northern Virginia, specifically) that you have a decent chance at being hired at a typical commercial job (Safeway, Target, Best Buy, restaurants, etc.). When I was your age, I made money by helping my neighbors and my parents' friends with their computers. You can make some pretty good money that way, especially since you don't have to pay taxes. :)

Also, you should note that a new motherboard alone will do little to alleviate your bottlenecking. Only if you combine the motherboard with a better CPU can you expect to get much more out of your 8800GT.

Rocknrollcows

Rocknrollcows

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 432 posts
O.o

I could have swore it was Gold Coast, California... must be my report making my head see things....

You live in Northern Virgina? I live in Northern Virginia too! XD

more specifically Fairfax area

I've tried helping my neighbors with their computers..... but most of the time they just say "it's ok, i'll get an adult to do it" and they call Geeks Squad or something.. Then i sit there watching the Geeks Squad try and fix it and fail horribly. The computer had a Ram problem (the RAM sticks were loose) and the dude said the CPU was fried and tried to make them pay $500 to install it.

They just don't trust kids :)

I know getting a MOBO will do little, but i'm getting a new MOBO as a steping stone to EVENTUALLY upgrading to a new PROC prolly in the 4th quarter of this year...

Edited by Rocknrollcows, 27 February 2008 - 06:46 PM.

stettybet0

stettybet0

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 2,579 posts

more specifically Fairfax area

Bingo, same here.

I'd recommend upgrading your motherboard at the same time as you are ready to upgrade the processor, considering how quickly technology can change (and prices can drop :)). As I've said, there is really not much benefit to be had from upgrading only the motherboard in this situation, so I don't see any reason not to wait.

Advertisements

Rocknrollcows

Rocknrollcows

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 432 posts
your right..

I should wait..

I NEED A JOB>>>>>>

~~~~~~~~~

just curious, but what School do you go to?

Woodson, Robinson, Lake Brad, TJ?

i'm missing a few, but oh well.

stettybet0

stettybet0

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 2,579 posts
GO RAMS!

:)

Rocknrollcows

Rocknrollcows

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 432 posts
Fo serious?

I go to Robinson too O.o

Awwwkward..

GO RAMS

Edited by Rocknrollcows, 27 February 2008 - 07:01 PM.

stettybet0

stettybet0

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 2,579 posts
Haha, too bad I can't be seen associating with middle schoolers or freshmen, whichever you are. :)

Rocknrollcows

Rocknrollcows

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 432 posts
i'm an 8 ball XD

nice to know some one else in robinson knows something about computers