Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Bios hangs, PC doesnt start

• Please log in to reply

etd0000hr

etd0000hr

• PipPip
  • 28 posts
Well I previously had to RMA my PSU after recieving the new one yesterday it worked perfect.

NOW THE PROBLEM - When I power up the PC, all I get is the display logo, and it just stays there. I have to press the TAB key to enter the post. After it detects my IDE drives, which takes forever by the way, I have the option to press F1 key to continue or enter Windows Setup.

F1 Key - When I press the F1 key to continue the motherboard could no longe detect my hard drive...strange since it did pick up in the post.

Entering Windows Setup - When I try to install windows, it formats the HDD, Copies windows files, then it restarts...and after that I can't continue with the process. All I get is the Display logo, and after the post, mobo can't find my HDD.

Any suggestions :tazz:

MSI K8N Platinum
AMD 64 3400+ Newcastle Core
1GBx2 GeiL DDR400/PC3200
MSI GeForce 6600
Wester Digital Caviar SE 160GB

Advertisements

etd0000hr

etd0000hr

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts
I thought everyone would like to know that I solved the problem. I had my HDD in IDE1 and CD-ROM in IDE2 switch both to IDE1 HDD as master and CD-ROM as Slave

But another problem unearthed....go figure!

No Sound. Speakers are working fine, I try them out on my iPod but it won't work on my PC. I have installed the onboard sound card but still no sound. Can anyone help?

Samm

Samm

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,476 posts
Check the speakers are plugged in the correct port at the back of the PC.

If so, go to the speaker properties/volume control in windows & make sure the volume is turned up & the line out/speaker out is not muted.

If thats all ok, go to device manager & look under multimedia devices. Are all the components installed for the sound card & does windows report them as functioning normally?

etd0000hr

etd0000hr

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts
All the drivers are installed and working just fine, but i still have no sounds, my speakers are on and and tunerd all the way up...the work fine on my iPod....could it be the onboard sound device thats causing the problem?....but the device manager says everything is working fine.....

:tazz:

Samm

Samm

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,476 posts
Is it the onboard sound card that you are trying to use or are you trying to use an add-on PCI sound card?

etd0000hr

etd0000hr

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts
its an Onboard card. It uses Realtek AC'97 software

Samm

Samm

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,476 posts
Do you have the audio cable that links your CDROM drive to the onboard sound card installed?

etd0000hr

etd0000hr

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts
I have a cdrom audio cable that connects the cdrom and motherboard but its no way near the onboard sound

Samm

Samm

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,476 posts
Thats fine, providing the connector on the mobo is marked CD_IN or similar, then its the right one.

Do you have a pair of headphones with 3.5mm jack? If so, try inserting an audio CD with the haedphones plugged in the front of the CDROM drive & play the CD.
make sure the volume control on the front of the drive is turned up obviously & see if you can hear the CD playing

etd0000hr

etd0000hr

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts
that was one of the first things i tried--didn't work. If i get a sound card (PCI interface) do you think it would work? Although i do want to get the onboard working so i won't have to spend any more $$$

Advertisements

Samm

Samm

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,476 posts
If you're sure everything looks ok in device manager, then run dxdiag & run the tests in sound & music sections. You still won't be able to hear anything I don't suppose but it may give you some more info regarding the problem.

Also, if you open DM & look under multimedia devices (or whatever it is that XP refers to it as), can you tell me exactly whats listed there & the associated IRQ where relevant?

etd0000hr

etd0000hr

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts
in my Device Manager it is refered to Sound, video and game controllers. Under that i have the following listings;

Audio Codecs
Legacy Audtio Drivers
Legacy Video Capture Devices
Media Control Devices
Realtek AC'97 Audio
Video Codecs

Samm

Samm

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,476 posts
that all looks normal, what about dxdiag?

etd0000hr

etd0000hr

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts
i ran the sound test on dxdiag and all i get is DirectSound test results: Failure at step 19 (User verification of software): HRESULT = 0x00000000 (error code)

Doby

Doby

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,075 posts
Hi etd0000hr and Samm,

If I could butt in for just a moment and please correct me if i'm wrong but in the very beginning in the second post etd0000hr mentioned he had to place the cdr on the same ide channel as the hdd to be able to boot to windows, this is not a good setup and a performance hit. But it also suggests to me that the board is not so good if the 2nd ide channel ain't working, that coupled with the sound issue maybe the board is bad.

I dunno what you think Samm

Rick