Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Windows wont boot after power outage

• Please log in to reply

chrissnow

chrissnow

• Pip
  • 1 posts
About 2 months agoe we had a power outage and when i got home from work my computer would not boot up. I tryed booting into safe mode but it would either just restart or when it got to the desktop just restart. Then i did a fresh install of windows and that did nothing now i cant even get to the desktop it just stops at mup.sys in safe mode and restarts right away. Also when i tryed to install windows almost every second file would not copy and sometimes i would get an irql not less or equel error. so i popped my harddrive into another computer to install windows. I have been running knoppix now for about 2 months that is what im useing to post this. so i dont know what would be wrong cpu, ram, power supply, motherboard i have no idea plzzz help!!

Advertisements

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,091 posts
Hi chrissnow, welcome to G2G.

If it runs Knoppix then the hard drive, mother board and CPU are okay. Memory is probably okay though Knoppix does not exercise it like XP.

Couple things you should do at this point.

1. Boot your XP CD and start the Recovery Console (enter R at first opportunity). Once you get to the command prompt, enter chkdsk /r. Let it run undisturbed to completion.
2. Download memtest86, diskette or CD iso version. Run it for at least 3 passes to see if there are any memory problems.
3. Download the diagnostic utility from the hard drive manufacturers web site (diskette or CD also usually) and run it, see if it finds any problems.
4. If you can, borrow a CD drive from a friend and replace the one you have. Make sure the CD is clean then try the XP install again. Be sure to do a clean install by deleting the existing partitions then create a new one, format as NTFS.