Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Buy new computer or build one?

• Please log in to reply

civiccrazy

civiccrazy

• PipPipPip
  • 244 posts
I built my current computer about 6 years ago, now its getting slow and various things seem to be going wrong. I am wanting a new computer. Should i just go buy one somewhere or should i build another one?? What would be the best thing to do?

Advertisements

stettybet0

stettybet0

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 2,579 posts
You can typically save a good deal of money and get higher quality parts by building your own computer as opposed to buying a pre-assembled one. So, if you are already comfortable with building a computer, then I see absolutely no reason not to.

civiccrazy

civiccrazy

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 244 posts
I am comfortable with building one, Or at least i am pretty sure i am. Do you have any suggestions on what to put in it? I want it to be fast and have pretty good stuff in it. I would like to keep xp pro like i have now.

stettybet0

stettybet0

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 2,579 posts
It would be helpful to know your intended uses for this computer and your budget before I can give any suggestions.

Also, do you have any specific reason for keeping XP? With Vista SP1 coming out in mid-March for the average user, there has never been a better time to switch to Vista.

civiccrazy

civiccrazy

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 244 posts
Mostly checking email, surfing the internet. I do downoad music and some videos. Maybe play a game every now and then. I have alot of music so a big hard drive i know would be good. Maybe spend around 500-600. I can proably use some of my stuff from my computer i have now. I have:

VIA P6-P4VXASD2+ motherboard ( I definately want to upgrade that)
Intel pentium 4 2.53 GHz CPU
1.25 GB Ram
Western Digital 60 GB internal hard Drive
Maxtor OneTouch 250 GB external Hard Drive
Radeon 9250 video card
LG DVD Rom
TDK CDRW 5200
Memorex MRX-530L DVD+R/-R
I would also like to get a new flat screen monitor.

civiccrazy

civiccrazy

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 244 posts
ok, now i really messed up the computer and i cant get outta safe mode. I am just going to build a new one. What do i need or what should i get ?

civiccrazy

civiccrazy

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 244 posts
Anyone have any suggestions? I want to build a computer that is fast. But I only have about 500-600 to spend. And can I use anything from my current system???

SRX660

SRX660

motto - Just get-er-done

• Technician
  • 4,345 posts
A good start is here.

http://www.tigerdire.....ku=I69-2154 K

Not the best motherboard and a rather small HD but still good.

Better

http://www.tigerdire...e...4&CatId=333

I just don't like ultra power supply's.

And if you have the money.

http://www.tigerdire...e...&CatId=2405

Notice that they are all tiger direct kits. Although newegg can gey you a slightly better price for the same components, i have problems getting everything at the same time with them. The last time i ordered a complete computer from newegg i was stuck till after a long holiday weekend getting the motherboard. This meant that i had everything else to build the computer but not the first basic part.

SRX660

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
go here to the techreport...they have tested components and have $800.00...$ 1000.00 builds using components that have been tested and got great reviews...
they also have benchmark for all kinds of components...lots of up to date info...
even got a system builders guide here..

start with this one...Need help putting your system together. Use TR's handy guide

james_8970

james_8970

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,084 posts
We have built a $800 rig for the average user that I believe you would find useful.
http://www.geekstogo...d-budget-build/
If you had some budget head room I'd go the intel route.
James

Edited by james_8970, 01 March 2008 - 12:38 PM.

Advertisements

SOORENA

SOORENA

• PipPipPip
  • 974 posts
I suggest going with THIS one and then adding on stuff, it's pretty descent especially for your needs. Oh and you will need a CPU fan.

Soorena

james_8970

james_8970

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,084 posts
That would involve buying a Ultra PSU though :)
The new X3 lines seems very promising, but the lower end Ultra PSU's are quite poor.
James

SOORENA

SOORENA

• PipPipPip
  • 974 posts
Well the people who bought it like a friend of mine actually don't mind it, as long as your a good boy and don't have like a million things running on, like me for example I learned a great lesson when buying PSUs, 3 mobos replaced does sorta wake you up lol.

Soorena

james_8970

james_8970

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,084 posts

Well the people who bought it like a friend of mine actually don't mind it, as long as your a good boy and don't have like a million things running on

No, ultra products have have rails that fluctuate a fair amount, which decreases the lifespan of your components and the are unreliable.
James

SOORENA

SOORENA

• PipPipPip
  • 974 posts
I wonder why they put those parts together if they know that they have a high chance of frying out thanks to the PSU, I will look at finding something that doesn't have an Ultra PSU.

Soorena