Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Buy new computer or build one?

• Please log in to reply

james_8970

james_8970

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,084 posts
Is your hard drive IDE?
James

Advertisements

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,839 posts

Should I buy any kind of extended warranty through newegg?

Hi there,

This is your choice, but I personally wouldn't bother. Most components you are ordering have a longer warranty than one year, you would simply need to contact the manufacturer after this time is up.

Cheers

Troy

civiccrazy

civiccrazy

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 244 posts

Is your hard drive IDE?
James

The one I have in my computer now?? Yes it is.

Edited by civiccrazy, 05 March 2008 - 09:05 PM.

james_8970

james_8970

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,084 posts

Is your hard drive IDE?
James

The one I have in my computer now?? Yes it is.

If you optical drive is IDE as well, you're going to have to buy a new SATA optical drive or hard drive as there is only one IDE slot on your motherboard.
If you want to go to the cheaper route, I'd recommend this optical drive.
http://www.newegg.co...N82E16827129009
If you want to purchase a new hard drive instead, tell me your budget or if you want to adjust your entire build to meet your current $600 budget.
James

civiccrazy

civiccrazy

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 244 posts
I never thought of that. Right now I have a TDK cd burner, LG DVD Rom, and a Memorex DVD recorder. So, I guess I'm gonna have to buy a different hard drive. Right now i am about at my max in the the money department, So i guess i will have to redo everything?

Edited by civiccrazy, 06 March 2008 - 02:31 PM.

james_8970

james_8970

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,084 posts

So i guess i will have to redo everything?

If you want to go that route you'll have to wait till later on tonight as I'm off to work. In the mean time, someone else may jump in to give you a hand.
James

Titan8990

Titan8990

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,189 posts
You could just scrap the old drive and only use the 250GB you are getting. If you need to retrieve data from the HDD you can hook up the old drive temporally after the OS installed. You can always add another SATA drive down the road. For most users it would take a long time to fill up 250GB.

Also the selected board will only support two IDE optical drives at a time. You will have to scrap one of your three.

Edited by Titan8990, 06 March 2008 - 03:00 PM.

civiccrazy

civiccrazy

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 244 posts
I can not use the dvd rom thats fine with me. That will leave me with two. I dont plan on using the hard drive i have in this computer and the 250gb. I am just going to hook up the 250gb. But, i would like to transfer the stuff from my current hdd to the new 250 when i get the computer up and running.

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,839 posts

I can not use the dvd rom thats fine with me. That will leave me with two. I dont plan on using the hard drive i have in this computer and the 250gb. I am just going to hook up the 250gb. But, i would like to transfer the stuff from my current hdd to the new 250 when i get the computer up and running.

Hi there,

What you are intending on doing sounds like it should work :)

If you have any questions on how to achieve this transfer, feel free to ask.

Cheers

Troy

civiccrazy

civiccrazy

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 244 posts
I am glad you understand what i was saying, i wasn't sure if anyone would. What would be the easiest way to transfer my files?? THis computer has been going slow and doing weird things the past couple of weeks i am scared I have something wrong like a virus i can't find or something. Would ithat transfer to the new hdd or can I get around that somehow?

Advertisements

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,839 posts
Hi there,

Before you build the new computer, why not run through the malware instructions located here? If all of these scans come up clean, there's a good chance your computer is fine. If not, definitely post a HJT log in the Malware Forum and an expert will help you clean it up.

Some malware variants are able to copy themselves over :)

The easiest way to transfer your files would be to hook up the drive as a slave device, or you could use an external caddie. I would personally use a caddie, and then keep it in the caddie and use it as a backup hard drive. Either way, the drive should show up in Windows, and you can copy what you please.

Cheers

Troy

civiccrazy

civiccrazy

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 244 posts
I just recently bought a maxtor one touch 250 gb external hard drive. SO ill just transfer everyhting over to that then go from there

james_8970

james_8970

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,084 posts

Are you saying that you're going to try to run your computer off an external drive? This will not work if you are intending on doing so as a computer cannot boot from the USB/firewire interface.
James

civiccrazy

civiccrazy

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 244 posts
no, the 250GB in this instance is the seagate i am getting ready to buy.

james_8970

james_8970

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,084 posts

no, the 250GB in this instance is the seagate i am getting ready to buy.

Okay, good luck. If you have any questions or concerns, you know where to come :)
James