Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Buy new computer or build one?

• Please log in to reply

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts

the last software I installed was adobe reader

was this the day before you started having problrms

Check to see if your computer is running in PIO mode.

open Device manager... double click on the IDE/Atapi controllers ...double click on the primary controller ... click on the Advanced settings tab and check to see what the drive is set to.... the drive should be UDMA Mode 5 or 6.
To try fixing it...

Open Device Manager....Double-click IDE ATA/ATAPI Controllers to display the list of controllers

Right-click the icon for the channel to which the hard drive is connected...usually the primary... select Properties... and then click the Advanced Settings tab.

In the Current Transfer Mode drop-down box, select DMA if Available if the current setting is "PIO Only."
If the drop-down box already shows "DMA if Available" but the current transfer mode is PIO... then you must toggle the settings....

Change the selection from "DMA if available" to PIO only, and click OK.

Then repeat the steps above to change the selection to DMA if Available....
reboot

Advertisements

civiccrazy

civiccrazy

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 244 posts
Adobe reader was installed sunday during the day and i shut it off sunday night and monday afternoon when i turned it back on it was slow.

I opened device manager, double clicked the IDE ATA/ATAPI controllers.

I have 9 different things in there:

intel ICH9 2 port serial ATA Storage Controller 1 - 2921
intel ICH9 2 port serial ATA Storage Controller 2 - 2926
Primary IDE Channel
Primary IDE Channel
Primary IDE Channel
Secondary IDE Channel
Secondary IDE Channel
Secondary IDE Channel
Standard Dual Channel PCI IDE Controller

Whcih one do I click on to do what you are telling me to do?

civiccrazy

civiccrazy

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 244 posts
all of my primary IDE channels are running in DMA if available.

civiccrazy

civiccrazy

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 244 posts
I just remembered the last thing i installed was a driver for my printer. Epson CX 4800. I couldn't find my cd so i went to their ebsite and downloaded the driver. Could the driver be bad or something? Or causing my computer to run slow?

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts

Could the driver be bad or something? Or causing my computer to run slow?

yep...try uninstalling it...also try system restore...
also get rid of Adobe reader ...get foxit reader here..
Foxit Reader is a free reader for PDF documents. You can view and print PDF documents with it.

The download size is around 1MB, so you can download it quickly. It doesn't need any lengthy installation, so you can start to run it as soon as you can download it.

And it starts up immediately, so you don't need to wait the annoying "Welcome" screen to disappear.
do you have 2 sata drives installed and no IDE drives

civiccrazy

civiccrazy

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 244 posts
I only have 1 sata hard drive. Two IDE drives, a cd burner and a dvd burner. I have never created a restore spot. So that wouldn't really do anything would it? What about last known good configuration? would that do anything? I will try to uninstall the driver and adobe first and see what that does.

Titan8990

Titan8990

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,189 posts
If you did any Windows Updates many of those installations create a restore point. Check out system restore and see if any made their way there.

Edited by Titan8990, 25 March 2008 - 08:18 PM.

inthesault

inthesault

• Pip
  • 2 posts
Im in the middle of a new build myself and have saved a few bucks by purchasing combos...Mobo+Cpu and Case with Power Supply. I also have $90 in rebates comming, but i wont count thoes yet.
No better time to go Quad. And You might not want SLI or Crossfire now, but it cant hurt to be upgradable. An SLI Mobo with a single GPU...If you want another (same) GPU in a year, your ready.
Read
Read
Read

civiccrazy

civiccrazy

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 244 posts
I restored the computer to before I installed the printer and it works great now. Thanks for all the help!

Titan8990

Titan8990

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,189 posts
Glad you got everything fixed :).

Advertisements