Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Video Card question

• Please log in to reply

fr33zypop

fr33zypop

• PipPip
  • 25 posts
I am getting a new TV (47 inch LCD Toshiba 1080p) soon (ordered today off newegg) and I want to hook it up my computers video card into it. Now I know I can have the TV switched to only get signal from the input (vga) on the TV. The video card is a ASUS 128 mg and has a VGA, S-video and DVI. I want to be able to just switch the TV to that input and be able to use my computer, BUT also be able to use my 19 inch widescreen LCD monitor as well. Can I have the S-video going to my TV and the VGA to my 19 inch? Or do I need to get a different video card that handles dual monitors. I have seen how dual monitors work and I don’t want to have to drag what I want on what monitor and just have the display the same on the TV and LCD monitor.

Advertisements

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
you'll probably have to try it out to be sure...but you should be able to have the SVideo go to the tv and the vga go to another monitor....

I don’t want to have to drag what I want on what monitor and just have the display the same on the TV and LCD monitor.

this is called cloning....normally when you hook up a second monitor you would go into the display properties and highlight your second monitor and choose "attached" this will turn the option to "extend your desktop" that's not what you want....to do cloning you usually have to go into the advanced settings of your video card and look for the proper options for cloning y our desktop....the methods vary between cards so you'll either need to find a manual for y our card or just play with it till you get it (it's rellatively self explanitorY)

fr33zypop

fr33zypop

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts
Yeah I am sure that I wont be able to use that "cloning" feature on this card. So I will just try it out and post back when I get the TV.. Thanks..